Re: Better than Indy Jones

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on December 08, 1999 at 03:49:12:

In Reply to: Better than Indy Jones posted by Will Wheaton on December 07, 1999 at 10:29:03:

If you're gonna come on here and sing about how great "The Mummy" is then you might at least spell its' star's name correctly. It's Brendan Fraser not Branden Frasier.

I enjoyed "The Mummy" a lot and it was one of my faves for this summer but it doesn't even begin to compare with Indy.
It depended way too much on special effects. The opening scenes in Hamunaptra looked like an animated film.
Too much of the film was played as slapstick and this took away from the excitement.
The Mummy should have struck fear into the characters. Here's a monster described as a walking disease, a creature who can't be killed and who can call down the plagues of Egypt. I've seen people display more fear at seeing a spider.
Brendan Fraser is too goofy looking for an action hero. He has a muscular body but his face doesn't look very serious. This works well for George of the jungle but not for an adult action flick.
But the area where Indy really puts it over on "The Mummy" is in the script. The difference between the two is so glaring I don't even need to sight an example.

In the end, "The Mummy" is a passable action flick but will not become a classic like the Indy films. Mark my words.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]