Patriotism's easy when the war only lasts like a week

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupD247.mpls.uswest.net on December 08, 1999 at 11:09:46:

In Reply to: Gotta disagree with you on the patriotism issue... posted by ROB T. on December 08, 1999 at 03:22:02:

Remember during the Gulf War how the Army had to turn away volunteers because they had a surge of young men ready to go over and kick Saddam's ass?
Every generation has looked down on the young people and seen them as wilder than the generation before. Their music is evil, they dress weird, they show no respect for their elders, they're delinquent.
The media shows us all the bad sides of young people because it is the nature of the news business to concentrate on bad news and it conditions us to see all young people as bad. Just remember that troubled kids have always gotten the most press but most kids, even now, are quietly doing their homework and preparing to live lives as productive adults. The world isn't in as much trouble as it seems.

I'm gonna have to take your word on the fact that volunteers wanted to go to the Gulf. Seeing as I was only 12 when the "war" broke out I don't remember all the details, maybe because I was more interested in the Ninja Turtles at the time rather than watching Wolf Blitzer on CNN. But I do remember that the "war" lasted only like a week or something, and most of our casualties were as a result of "friendly fire". Now hell, anybody could be patriotic and wanna fight in a week long air war. "Oh I'm a hero 'cause I was in the Gulf War", that's not a hero. The biggest hardship those guys went through was getting sand blown in their faces while playing Poker in the bunkers. And as far as this generation of kids being patriotic...good luck. It happened 30 years ago with Vietnam, hippies protesting, calling the soldiers baby-killers and turning their backs on them. This generation'd be even worse, Canada and Mexico would suddenly be flooded with "tourists". There is no more respect for the Government...or the country anymore.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]