Re: Whip mechanics and sonic booms

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from FLNTB305-08.splitrock.net on December 08, 1999 at 15:43:18:

In Reply to: Whip mechanics and sonic booms posted by Tim Elliott on December 08, 1999 at 10:15:34:

: Hi, all. I bought a cheap ($20) whip from a tack shop. The handle swivels - or more precisely, the whip itself rotates completely around the handle. Is it supposed to do so?

: The reason I ask: When I first bought it, I immediately took it into the gravel parking lot, unfurled it and let fly. CRACK! first time out of the chute. I was able to get several more regular cracks out of it, but it only lasted the first day. All the 'crackers,' the leather strips at the end (the fall?), are more or less intact, but no more sonic booms. The only variable I have found is the freewheeling handle.

: Anyone out there with a more expensive, better-made whip have any insights?

Hi Tim, Its a swivel handle bullwhip, the handle is designed swivel. They are pretty common in most leather and tack shops.

The fall is actually the long single piece of leather extending out from the end of the braided whip, You might want to attach a cracker to the end of the whip, if it does not already have one. The cracker is basically is a small piece of string or thread that creates a better crack from the whip. Aside from that it’s probably just technique, check out the Bullwhip FAQ at www.bullwhip.org Hope this helps, If you have any questions let us know.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]