Wow!, pretty informed...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Havlock from proxy-561.public.rwc.webtv.net on December 08, 1999 at 20:55:12:

In Reply to: Re: CD? in 1984? Yes... posted by Indiana Joe on December 08, 1999 at 09:15:55:

: : were cd's even around in 84? i don't think that particular soundtrack was ever released domestically on cd...

: CDs were introduced in 1983, although it took a while for them to become the dominant medium for prerecorded music. “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” was indeed issued domestically on CD. It’s just been out of print since sometime in the late ’80s, possibly around 1990 (I don’t know the exact year it was discontinued). I do have it - it’s the same as the domestic LP (same recordings of the same music, presented in the same sequence as the LP, that is), with the same liner notes and some of the same photos, etc. as the LP, the biggest difference in presentation (beyond the inherent differences between LP and CD) being that it doesn’t have all of the photos in the LP package, and the ones it does have are in black & white (probably because CD was still a young, “catching-on” medium and not given as much attention as the LP and cassette releases, or because the smaller CD booklet couldn’t present the photos as effectively as the LP package anyway).

: : : Are there any differences between the import version available in the SW insider, and the original release? I still have an original copy of the CD from 84 and the songs are out of order and some are even missing. (Like the Phantom Menace soundtrack). Is the new release 'complete', like the 'Raiders' sountrack?

: No, the import release is just a straightforward Japanese version of the original soundtrack album - the album apparently remained in print in Japan when it was discontinued here - and has the exact same music (same order, same everything) as the American versions of the soundtrack - the only difference is in the printed components of the overall package (booklet, tray liner, CD label), since obviously they’re in Japanese. Perhaps the photos in the booklet are in color, which would be a nice improvement over the domestic release, but as far as actually listening to the music goes it should be the same as the out-of-print American disc.
:
: : : If its not, it should be. Despite TOD's shortcomings, I think it still has a great score.

: Agreed! The idea of a new, expanded score album for ToD, like the one “Raiders of the Lost Ark” got in 1995, has been discussed quite a bit in the past couple of years by fans of both film scores in general and of Indy / Lucasfilm; hopefully, it’ll come to pass.

: - IJ

Yep, its an old one all right. I think it might have been one of the first cd's my dad ever bought. We also had one of the very first portable cd players from sony. It was mostly metal, wieghed about 3 lb's, and cost upwards of $300!! The cd itself is a real museum piece. In the upper right hand corner is a red logo stating, "DIGITAL recording". Ooooooooohhh... Inside it reads, "Made in west Germany", and it even has a brief description of this new 'digital' technology, and care instructions for the disc!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]