Re: Thanks for the info...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-wm031.proxy.aol.com on December 09, 1999 at 19:11:38:

In Reply to: Answer to GCR's Fedora question, below - I wasn't able to post a reply directly to his post. Micah? posted by Patterson on December 09, 1999 at 15:40:52:

: : I am a relatively new member to this forum, but have been an Indy fan for years. And although I have been interested in collecting Indy style gear and clothing for quite some time as well, I have only recently begun to seek out and purchase the "authentic" gear (I recently bought a Wested, an MK VII bag and strap, the Noel Howard Indy shirt, and a Raiders style gunbelt and whipholder). I have a wool felt "official" Fedora, that I don't wear, and I also have an old Stetson that belonged to my Grandfather, which is remarkably like the HJ used in the Indy films. And being of age (I'm not sure how old it is, but older than I am, that's for sure!), it has that weathered Indy look. But since it is an antique, I wanted to find a suitable hat to wear day to day, that still has that Indy look. I have spoken with Michaelson in depth about this, as well as Abner and Indiana John, and in the last email, Abner advised me to speak with you concerning the purchase and modification of an Akubra hat. I have been debating whether or not to get an HJ or another, less expensive, but still high quality hat. I have narrowed it down to either buying an HJ, or getting an Akubra and having it modified, or buying a Stetson roughly equivalent to the one I own (Temple, Ark or Indy).
: : Any opinions or info would really help! Just email me if it's too much for the forum(as I believe this is!)Thanks!
: : -GCR

:
: Hmmm. Quite a bit to bite off here. Well, to start off, I've owned a few of the Stetson models you reference - specifically the Ark, the Temple and the Nostalgia. All are fine hats, but really fall just a bit short of the look of the HJ hat in Raiders. Primarily, this is due to the short crown, and on the Temple and Ark, the taper of the crown. The Nostalgia comes the closest.

: Recently I "rediscovered" the Aukbra hats offered by David Morgan. They offer hats, which make good “raw material”, if you will, for an Indy fan to work with, if they so choose to get their hands dirty. I'm working on a narrative, which walks one through the conversion of the Akubra Drover into a Raider's style fedora. I've been very happy with mine. The short of it is that you can have a very authentic look for about $100.

: I've yet to hear anybody say they regret purchasing a Poet from HJ. I've also heard wonderful reviews of the Gary White hats via Custom Hatters. The HJ runs $300+, though, and the Gary White is about $400, I believe. That's just too steep for me - I'd just buy another Wested if I had $300 burning a hole through my pocket!

: For my money, go with either the Akubra Drover or Bushman, and have it modified. I think you'll be very happy with the hat, and will avoid feeling guilty if it gets beat up.

: Cheers!

: Patterson

Thanks for the info...I think I'll look into one of those Akubras as well, maybe someday I'll get around to buying a Herbert Johnson, but as I said, I just spent my $300+ on a Wested and some gear. Thanks again!
-GCR

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]