Re: top 10 reasons you’re wrong

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Joe from dialup112.multilinkws.com on December 12, 1999 at 08:53:45:

In Reply to: top 10 reasons indys finished posted by hayden on December 12, 1999 at 06:55:14:

: 10. Harrison Ford's too old.

Too old for what? Doesn’t it depend on the time frame in which a new film would be set, and how old the character would be? Harrison has already played a fifty-year old Indiana, and the character has already been shown in his ninteies, for that matter. Aside from this, there are plenty of actors who portray more run-of-the-mill action heroes late in life, and the Indy mythos seems a little less focused on mindless action and a little more character-driven to me, and many others, in which case age should be even less of a hindrance for Indy than it is for Bond, etc.

Aside from all that, your #10 reason is really pretty much the same as your #5 reason. That’s nine reasons - where’s your tenth?

: 9. The last movie was made 10 years ago, thus how can you make the film appeal to the younger generation?

The last Star Wars movie prior to The Phantom Menace was made 16 years prior to it, yet somehow the younger generation wanted to see it. You know, it’s not as though the Indy movies haven’t been the perennial video favorites they have been...

: 8. It has no relevance to today's world.

On the contrary - Indiana Jones, like most of Lucas’s creations, deals with timeless, mythic themes, and has relevance to all generations.

: 7. Lucas is too busy making Star Wars episode 2 and 3.

Actually, this is possible - but note also that both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were made while he was busy making Star Wars Episodes V and VI.

: 6. Other actors ( i.e. Brendon Fraser) have proved that movies similiar to indiana jones can succeed.So why do we need indy ?

This is just stupid. One might as well ask why we needed more Star Wars movies after Battlestar Galactica came out. For that matter, why do we _need_ any movies at all? We don’t - but they’re certainly nice to have. If you want a more specific answer than that, how about that none of the adventure films / series that appeared after Indy debuted (The Mummy, the Allan Quatermain movies with Richard Chamberlain, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Bring ’Em Back Alive, etc.) really captured quite the same feeling evoked by Indy (and that most of them were simply bad), or that there’s room for more adventure films, or that there’s simply an market for / interest in more Indy films, or...

: 7. The original plan was for three movies only , so why change that idea?

Lucas said at the time Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was released that he didn’t have any specific plans for another one, but that he wouldn’t rule it out if he just sort of woke up one day and had an idea for one; Ford & Spielberg said what amounted to the same thing.

: 6. How many years have we heard rumors of indy 4, god more rumors THAN ACTUAL FACT , have we evengotten past talk ,i.e. a script for the film?

This was true for Star Wars as well for many years, and I heard all the time how there would never be another one. Obviously, that’s been firmly established as being wrong.

: 5. Who wants to be a love interest for an aging old man like Harrison
: Ford? Marion kissing ford at his age now , i doubt it !!!!!

Good grief - do you have any idea how many women consider Ford one of the sexiest men alive? For that matter, Sean Connery is regarded as a major sex symbol, and he’s twelve years older than Ford! Are you saying all men over a certain age should give up romantic / sexual relationships? Are married men supposed to give up their wives upon hitting fifty?

Besides, why couldn’t there be an Indy movie with an older love interest for Indy - someone about the same age? Or for that matter, what about one without a romantic relationship at all?

: 4. Wouldnt it be great for the three classic films if the 4th was a bomb, god it would ruin the reputation forever( look what star wars e.p.1 done to the original star wars trilogy).

Well, it’s true there are many people who were disappointed by Episode I, but given the hype and anticipation surrounding this film (almost certainly the most anticipated film event ever), that was inevitable, regardless of how good the film was or wasn’t. Even with that, the film was still largely well-received - the reviews were mixed at best, but also mixed at worst, not overwhelmingly bad (it garnered many extremely positive reviews) - and certainly wasn’t a generally acknowledged dud like, say, Star Trek V; there’s no consensus on the film’s allegedly poor merits. Certainly the box-office figures attest to an enormous interest in the film, with a lot of repeat business indicating huge numbers of people who loved it.

More importantly, though, as much as a fourth Indy film might not live up to the previous ones, it could as easily surpass some of them, and raise the overall standing of the series. There are lots of people who didn’t like Return of the Jedi, say, and who thought The Phantom Menace improved the integrity of the overall series; similarly, there are many people who don’t think as much of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as the others (and some who think little of Last Crusade), and to these people a new film could elevate the standing of the overall series a little above the level of either of those films.

: 3. Modern computer technology would ruin a new indy film ,they are a film that nees to viewwd the old way , without computer animation.

The previous Indy films used technologies that were state-of-the-art for their times; what’s the problem? Moreover, the kind of stories told in the Indy movies have less need of CGI than a lot of other action movies and fantasy adventures. Besides, the tech level went up during the making of the three original films - higher tech was available to Lucas & Spielberg and the others during the making of Last Crusade than during the making of Raiders. Crusade even used some CGI - did it suck because of that?

: 2. has anyone HERE EVER TRIED TO GET IN CONTACT WITH HARRISON , LUCAS ,OR SPEILBERG???????? I THINK THEY COULD SETTLE IT ONCE AND FOR ALL, DONT YOU THINK ? Or do you want to keep going with hope not fact???????

While it’s true they haven’t laid out anything concrete, they’ve demonstrated a willingness - and sometimes, an actual intent - to do another film many times over. Officially, another film is still planned, even if there are no details beyond that.

: 1. I OR MILLIONS AROUND THE WORLD HAVENT EVEN HEARD POSITIVE THINGS ABOUT A POSSIBLE INDY 4 SO WHY HOPE IN VAIN?????WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR 10 YEARS IM , AND A LOT OF OTHERS, ARE SICK OF IT , GOOD BYE INDY YOU HAVE RIDDEN YOUR LAST RIDE IN 89'.

Actually, we’ve already _had_ additional Indy adventures, thanks to the Young Indy material. It _hasn’t_ been ten years, and Indy _didn’t_ ride his last ride in ’89.

All this said, I have to add that I don’t necessarily think another Indy film will definitely happen, or that it will definitely be good - I’m just saying there’s ample reason for hope and optimism on both counts, that’s all.

- IJ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]