Well now...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-wa083.proxy.aol.com on December 12, 1999 at 11:47:16:

In Reply to: Re: Just a thought concerning the Mummy, special effects etc... posted by Indiana Joe on December 12, 1999 at 10:30:06:

: : GCR, you're a true vulgarian and a hybrid between a flea monkey and an idiot savant. When they made the Indy films back in the 1980's, they didn't have computer-generated technology!!! Computer-generated technology didn't become possible until Jurassic Park became a monster hit back in 1993. Before you guys post moronic posts like GCR does, please know what you are saying. GCR makes you Indy nerds look extremely pathetic. You shouldn't criticize anything about the Mummy. It is a perfect, modern classic that will re-define the way adventure films are made. Good riddance to Dr. Jones!!!! As Anakin would shout: "Yippee!!"

: Actually, “Sallah”, computer-animated effects first appeared much earlier (remember the Death Star attack briefing in “Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope”?), and really started to take off in the ’80s. Computer-generated effects are used to varying degrees in “Tron” (1982), “Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan” (1982), “The Last Starfighter” (1984), “Young Sherlock Holmes” (1985), “Willow” (1988), “The Abyss” (1989), and many others - including “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” (1989). As you said, “before you guys post moronic posts... please know what you are saying.” ;-) Furthermore, “The Mummy” is far from “a perfect, modern classic that will re-define the way adventure films are made” - at BEST, it’s an entertaining movie, but not one with any real content or message, and whether it’s even that is debatable. I enjoyed the film, but I can assure you it’s not going to have the kind of following in ten or twenty years that Indiana Jones does now, it won’t be regarded as a classic, and it won’t get Oscar nominations in categories like “Best Picture” & “Best Director” as “Raiders of the Lost Ark” did, it won’t be considered one of the 100 Best Films of the Century by any organization of film scholars and critics as “Raiders” is (nor even the best 100 of the decade), etc.

: Not only are you totally wrong about Jurassic Park introducing this kind of technology, and about the lasting merits of “The Mummy”, you’re also a complete jerk. Nothing GCR said warranted your asinine, vitriolic, insult-laden outburst. Please learn to express yourself like a civil human being, or refrain from polluting this forum. Thank you.

: - IJ

My many thanks to Indiana Joe for his comments, I whole heartedly agree! This "Sallah" chap should brush up on his cinematic history before posting his wise ass comments in the INDY FAN forum! I can't believe how hard it is for some people to accept the truth about films like the Mummy. I have said countless times before that I liked The Mummy. I'm not Mummy bashing, I am simply explaining that the people who come here an chatter on about "special effects" should realize that Indy, in some cases didn't need special effects because they used the REAL thing. How the hell does that warrant "sallah's" immature profanity? The more people like that post here, the less and less I like the Mummy, I'm afraid to say.
"Now you're getting nasty..." Indy-Raiders
-GCR
PS- Just an after thought: The Indy movies were supposed to be reminisent of the old B-movie serials, but were much much more high quality in every respect, but I must say the mummy wasn't anything more than a B-movie with A-movie special effects.
"Sallah I said NO camels that's FIVE camels, can't you count?" Indy-LC

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]