Re: An opininon question...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from redx19.xyplex.com on December 13, 1999 at 17:49:04:

In Reply to: An opininon question... posted by Sean Dodge on December 13, 1999 at 17:01:19:

: This one is for Jones fans, but also applies to any heroic fiction series fans out there; James Bond(movies or books,)Dirk Pitt et. al.

: In the IJ movies, Indy gets a different girl each time. (Setting aside the obvious discontinuity of ToD being made after RotLA, even though it is technically a prequel.) We are never told what became of Marion or Willie, though Elsa's fate was of course resolved.

: This is true of the Bond movies where the girl OO7 rides off into the sunset with at the end each movie (with one notable exception)is completley forgotten by the next.

: Things are somewhat different in the books of course... Every girl that Indy seems to fall in love with gets killed, or else there is a parting of the ways (usually where there was very little passion to begin with.) In the Ian Fleming James Bond novels, there is usually a reference to why an affair with a former Bond girl ended (the outcome of the Tiffany Case - Diamonds Are Forever - romance comes to mind.)
: Clive Cussler readers know that Dirk's girls sometimes come back, but more often than not, are merely passing fancies, but not mentioned again.

: Thanks for reading so far...here's the question:

: Do you, the reader or viewer, want to know what happens to the girl after the credits roll? Do you want an OFFICIAL version of what happened to Willie or Marion, or would rather that be left up to your own imagination? Or do you even care?

: I ask because, as I start simultaneous work on the third and fourth Nick Kismet adventures, I wonder if I need to address what happens to his romantic interests from the previous stories. I of course know what happened to them--the official story-- but is that the kind of thing fans want to know?

: Should I put in a paragraph that says: "After a few weeks, the passion died and the fights started. Totally incompatible, she left in a fit of tears and he hadn't heard from her since."

: I really want some feedback on this, so please reply here, or better yet, e-mail me with your feedback. This goes double for the one or two Kismet fans out there.

: Laters

I think it depends on how interesting the fate of the girls are. Personally, I'm not interested in an answer like, " oh they were just incompatible, so she left" Though more believable an explanation, it's not very interesting and I'd say I almost wouldn't care. However, if there was a really nice story intimately connected to it, then yes, I would like to know what happened.

Brian K.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]