Re: Stetson 'Indy' 005...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Havlock from proxy-311.public.rwc.webtv.net on December 13, 1999 at 19:09:20:

In Reply to: Re: Stetson 'Indy' 005... posted by GCR on December 13, 1999 at 18:40:52:

: : Does anyone own one of these?? Is it worth $95.00???

: I will tell you this: I do not yet own the stetson model 005 Indy fedora that you have asked about. So if the info you seek is just in regard to that particular hat, I'm can't really be of any help yet, and it's probably pointless to continue reading this post. However, I have placed an ored for this particular hat ( the minute it comes in I'll tell you all about it here), and I currently own the Stetson Temple version as well as an old Stetson that belonged to my Grandfather. the temple is a nice hat, the color of the fur felt and ribbon is dead on. The hat tapers ever so slightly, and the crown is a tad short, but overall, for the price (also about $95, I believe) the hat is GREAT. I have heard good things about the other Stetson hats as well, namely the one you speak of. I have spoken to Michaelson about this, and he recommended the 005 Indy to me, and his advice has been a big help to me in my quest for Indy Gear. As for the quality, well, the hat I have that belonged to my grandfather is in great shape considering it's older than I am. The hat is the closest thing I have ever seen (in person) to an Indy fedora. The crown is a tad higher than the temple, and the hat doesn't really taper too much. The color and ribbon are also perfect, hell, it even has the aged and worn Indy look. I would definately recommend a Stetson to some one interested in a very high quality hat, with a very distinctive Indy look, for a very decent price. The fur felt is VERY soft to the touch, but also sturdy and durable, not to mention warm. If you want a GOOD Indy hat at a GOOD price, the Stetsons are the way to go, and the Indy is supposedly the best Stetson/Indy design. If you want soem in depth info on these and other Indy hats, I'd suggest heading over to Luger's fedora page. I'm not sure of the link info, but I know you can find a link at Indy Gear. Just to make a few other things clear before i go: The Stetsons are very nice hats, far superior to the "official" Indy hat licensed by Lucasfilm. However, they are NOT a Herbert Johnson, don't expect an EXACT replica of Indy's Hat, because (as far as I know) there wasn't a single Stetson in any of the three movies. They are very close as far as design and quality, but the difference between the two (Stetson and HJ) is apparent in the prices. The HJ is roughly $300, while the Stetson is about $100. The HJ was the hat used in all three movies, so it is the authentic hat for a die hard Indy collector, and is the highest quality fur felt etc. The Stetson is a copy of the indy hat as seen in the respective movies(Ark, Temple and Indy), and is high quality, but not custom made and not highest quality. Now, I've never seen or held or worn an HJ, but I've heard good reports. But for the price, the Indy by stetson seems irresistable...Oh Hell, I'm rambling...again!
: Good Luck, hope this mess was of some help!
: -GCR

Thanks for the help. Lugers page actually narrowed down my decision some time ago. The Indy seems the way to go, for me at least. Lets face it, fedoras arent exactly 'in' anymore, so I just cant see myself spending over $200 on something that will be more or less a display piece. The Wested, however, is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I've been wanting a leather Jacket for a few years now, and its only fairly recently that I 'discovered' Wested. If you are going to get a leather jacket, why not the most famous leather jacket ever?! Which makes me wonder about something...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]