Dont get me wrong guys...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Havlock from proxy-611.public.rwc.webtv.net on December 14, 1999 at 06:28:21:

In Reply to: Popular fashion, displaying fedoras vs wearing fedoras, and general ramblings posted by GCR on December 13, 1999 at 22:21:46:

: : Yep, you are right , fedoras aren't "in", but why follow what this peculiar thing called fashion dictates? By and large, we just follow the herd on issues of fashion, but at the same time the fashion designers try to create "newness" from old themes. It all appears rather silly when you think about it. I guess that's why I wear a fedora daily. Sure, it's not fashionable to do so, but neither are many things that I find interesting. Heck, I've never been one to limit myself to what the masses find appealing. Basically I wear what appeals to me, as I am not trying to impress anyone by conforming to what is currently "in style". I personally think the fedora is the best looking hat ever created. It also goes very well with a brown leather jacket. The two compliment one another. If you buy a fedora, by all means wear it! Steve

: I totally agree with you regarding current "fashion". I, too, wear my fedora daily (or at least as often as possible) and I find that, although it may not be in "style" it does suit MY particular style rather well, and as far as being the best hat ever created-well, that's for damn sure! I must also agree with you about the brown leather jacket-they do go quite well. Fedoras shouldn't be meant as just a display piece, if that's all one is interested in, then they should go out and buy the $36 wool-felt version, and not spend around $100 bucks unless they have an intention to wear it, at least a little. Fedoras are great for any occasion- hunting, fishing, hiking, or any other outdoor activity; great for keeping the sun off of your tender scalp in sunny areas; and still formal enough to wear to any sort of formal event, or even just to the office. Not that displaying your hat is wrong either, I do both, when the hat isn't on my head, it sits atop a coiled bullwhip on a table in my study. My point-if you want a decent hat for display purposes-get a cheap hat-if you want a decent hat for wear and display-get the Stetson. It'd be a shame for a Stetson to just collect dust (well, besides dust collected in "the field").
: -GCR

I do plan on wearing it, maybe just not as often as my Rolling Stones tour cap. (My favorite hat.) I've been fly fishing for some time now and the Indy seems to be a perfect addition to my ensemble.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]