My thoughts, for what they're worth....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on December 14, 1999 at 11:12:37:

In Reply to: An opininon question... posted by Sean Dodge on December 13, 1999 at 17:01:19:

: This one is for Jones fans, but also applies to any heroic fiction series fans out there; James Bond(movies or books,)Dirk Pitt et. al.

: In the IJ movies, Indy gets a different girl each time. (Setting aside the obvious discontinuity of ToD being made after RotLA, even though it is technically a prequel.) We are never told what became of Marion or Willie, though Elsa's fate was of course resolved.

: This is true of the Bond movies where the girl OO7 rides off into the sunset with at the end each movie (with one notable exception)is completley forgotten by the next.

: Things are somewhat different in the books of course... Every girl that Indy seems to fall in love with gets killed, or else there is a parting of the ways (usually where there was very little passion to begin with.) In the Ian Fleming James Bond novels, there is usually a reference to why an affair with a former Bond girl ended (the outcome of the Tiffany Case - Diamonds Are Forever - romance comes to mind.)
: Clive Cussler readers know that Dirk's girls sometimes come back, but more often than not, are merely passing fancies, but not mentioned again.

: Thanks for reading so far...here's the question:

: Do you, the reader or viewer, want to know what happens to the girl after the credits roll? Do you want an OFFICIAL version of what happened to Willie or Marion, or would rather that be left up to your own imagination? Or do you even care?

: I ask because, as I start simultaneous work on the third and fourth Nick Kismet adventures, I wonder if I need to address what happens to his romantic interests from the previous stories. I of course know what happened to them--the official story-- but is that the kind of thing fans want to know?

: Should I put in a paragraph that says: "After a few weeks, the passion died and the fights started. Totally incompatible, she left in a fit of tears and he hadn't heard from her since."

: I really want some feedback on this, so please reply here, or better yet, e-mail me with your feedback. This goes double for the one or two Kismet fans out there.

: Laters

First of all, it's about time Nick Kismet got back to work (grins). Secondly, that question really depends on what the writer wants to do with the character. I, too, am a Cussler fan, and I do like how he handles that kind of thing...he weaves reoccuring characters in and out of the storylines, and only a true fan of his really knows where they came from in the first place. It makes the reader want to go back and pick up the missing book to find out their past history, as he ususally just mentions the last meeting, but not necessarily the circumstances. In Kismet's case, now that is up to what YOU think he needs to be.....is he to be an individual who has his contacts and loves, but on a needed/need to know basis, or does he need the constant companionship of the second character, enough so that they have to appear again and again in new storylines. I do know that in the minds of some readers, and viewers, it appears a weakness for a heroic character to seem to had to lean on another individual to function. You sort of what them to have their friends and contacts, but no one so close that it hampers their work or drive to complete a specific "quest". The Willie character in Temple of Doom seemed to be in the way of Indy's task, where Marian seemed to be woven into the task. The female lead in LC was a competitor in the chase, and added that much more spice to the mix. Unless you want to have to keep track of another constant character in a storyline, I'd just keep them friendly and then move on. It seems to keep the character fresh in the next story....he has a history with folks, but one that can come and go as the story needs. Just my thoughts of the moment... Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]