Re: No, not exactly correct...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from h00104b6770cd.ne.mediaone.net on December 15, 1999 at 08:29:15:

In Reply to: No, not exactly correct... posted by Michaelson on December 15, 1999 at 07:00:05:

: The DC-3 was in it's heaviest production year in 1935. It was redesignated the "Dakota" during WWII and used by the military, but it had been in commercial airline service for several years all over the world by that time. Regards. Michaelson

Actually the prototype flew on Dec.17th, 1935 but commercial production/use began in 1936...just in time for Indy. Not that it matters...Indiana Jones is "historical" science fiction, right? That's why the Germans have Mp-40s and flying wings...

In WWII it was called the C-47 and was used for dropping paratroopers in the Normandy Invasion, among other things. After the war it also served prominently in the Berlin airlift.

Interesting aside: I was driving past a local airport recently when I happened to notice one painted with WWII markings. I went over and talked to the mechanic/co-pilot who was pouring oil in the engines and I got a little personal tour. This particular plane participated in D-Day and was used by the Finnish Air-force before becoming a commercial freight hauler today. Amazing that they are still in use, isn't it?

Cheers,
Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: