Re: To "Indy 4" scriptwriters:

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk098144.res-hall.nwu.edu on June 09, 1998 at 17:36:36:

In Reply to: To "Indy 4" scriptwriters: posted by Aaron on June 09, 1998 at 15:12:52:

: I think there's nothing wrong with writing your own script. Go ahead. Just take this advice: DO NOT POST ANYTHING ON THE 'NET. The very places we go to for Indy 4 rumors [AICN, Dark Horizons, etc.] would post a possible script in a second, if my hunch is right. Not that they're bad people, I enjoy their sites.

: Plus, realize that sending Lucas, Spielberg, Ford a script is pointless. They simply DO NOT READ fan scripts. Sorry.

: In light of these facts, I've chosen not to contribute to your script. Instead, I suggest you contribute to the Forum Novel, or write your own story and post it here, purely as fan-fiction. But then again, I turned you down, and you can do the same to me. But really, it's a lot more fun to read and to write a story rather than a script. Scripts are tools for moviemakers. They help them see. Stories are works of art...when they're in capable hands.

: Thanks for the consideration,

: ~Aaron

Aaron's right about it being more fun to write a story than a screenplay. A screenplay is a means to an end; a prose story or novel is an end in itself. All the very strict formatting of a screenplay can also take some of the fun out of creating it, and that's a problem you don't have to worry about writing straight prose. Especially with an action-oriented movie, as Indy movies tend to be, it's very difficult to convey great action sequences in four line blocks of text (the current industry norm for description and non-dialogue "business," or the actions the characters are carrying out). With a novel, you don't have to confine yourself to that constrictive format; you can expound as much as you like in paragraph upon paragraph about Indy's derring do. So if the main objective of writing this story is to have fun, I would second Aaron's recommendation to write a novel rather than a screenplay. Just my opinion, of course.
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]