Well...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tl043.proxy.aol.com on December 17, 1999 at 10:24:55:

In Reply to: Re: Was Indy's chasing the Ark... Uneccesary(No pun intended) posted by graml on December 17, 1999 at 10:04:11:

: : Yes, it is still a very good movie(I also don't understand how the Thuggee's can be powerful with five rocks with daimonds in 'em either) Of course we know it can take the Nazi's more longer since "They're digging in the wrong place." but if they got it, Belloq and the gang still woulda opened it killing them. So what advantage did Indy have with it? But still, the movie rocks! See ya, Shorty.
: : "Nothing else has ever come close." -Marcus, Raiders.

: Hey, Shorty. Perhaps Indy did go through too much simply to end up having the Ark sit in a government warehouse, but I think it was the principle of the thing. The Ark symbolizes Man's covenant with God. Maybe the Nazis wouldn't have been unstoppable with the Ark before them (that's up for debate; ask the French defenders at Maginot), but that sort of relic doesn't belong in the hands of a group that would misuse or even misrepresent it. Sorry if I got too philosophical there, but that's my two cents on this issue.
: -graml
: "I hate quotations." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, I'd have to agree with graml on this one, the point of the movie was pretty much to have Indy go on this wild and crazy adventure, risking life and limb for the Ark, only to have it tcuked away by higher powers. Hell, in EVERY movie the object of the quest (Sankara stones, Grail) ends up escaping Indy's final grasp. Although I also must agree with Short Round on the point that if all the Nazis and Belloq were gonna do is open it, why go through all of the trouble to stop them if it was gonna kill them anyway? Of course, Indy didn't know this before hand sooo...
-GCR
"Couldn't think of a decent quote..."-GCR

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: