These are the kind of discussions that keep me coming back to this forum.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on December 18, 1999 at 00:00:17:

In Reply to: When Indiana Jones becomes "Indy" (this kinda goes with my other SPF v. RP post, and it's anothe good long healthy one, much like this sentance; just can't stop, sorry!). posted by Ultraman Tiga on December 17, 1999 at 03:19:06:

I can't really comment on the character development in "Young Indy" since I've only seen a few episodes but I agree with your assertion that Indy in the films is a bit of a bastard. I've said many times on this forum that his treatment of Marion is reprehensible. Most people excuse it as typical for the times (I disagree).
I can't exactly agree with you about Belloq being a class act. He seems more like fool's gold (shiny on the outside but worthless). But I like that Belloq is every bit Indy's equal and maybe even a little sharper. I can't go so far as to call him classy; he aligns himself with the Nazis and seems intent on stealing the Ark from his employers, his loyalty appears to be for sale to the highest bidder.

I think the best example of Indy as grave robber is the opening scene of "Temple of Doom." Here Indy steals a corpse (Nurhachi) and not to be donated to some museum but for sale to a gangster for the price of a diamond.
But I don't think Indy is totally irredeemable. I like the fact that in all three films the main story involves Indy searching for an item for some bigger purpose. He needs to keep the Ark away from the Nazis. In "Temple" he needs to restore the stones to their rightful place to save the children of the village. In "Last Crusade" he's really only interested in rescuing his father. So even though Indy is interested in fortune and glory he is able to set aside his personal ambitions and see the bigger picture. His younger adventures are probably the reason for this latent patriotism that surfaces when the need arises.

I don't know if Indy's attitude was altered by his affair with Young Marion. Or if some unknown adventure cost him his idealism and hardened his soul.
I really wish they'd make a young Indy film about the affair with Marion and Indy's falling out with Abner. I think there's a hell of a story to be told there and it's an important part of the puzzle that's missing. In fact, I'd like to see that story (even just as a novel) even more than Indy IV.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]