Re: Would the world have been better off without Indy?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultraman Tiga from ts006d30.las-nv.concentric.net on December 18, 1999 at 03:34:03:

In Reply to: Would the world have been better off without Indy? posted by ROB T. on December 18, 1999 at 00:25:59:

: I'm talking about Indy as if he were a real person here not a movie character.
: If Indy had stayed home instead of going after the Ark would the world have been a better place? Consider, if Indy had let the Nazis get the Ark and take it to Hitler then Hitler would've had his face melted off just like Toht or Belloq. There never would've been a World War Two.
: We can assume that even without Indy Belloq would've opened the Ark on that island and Belloq, Toht, Deitrich and the other Nazis would've been killed. But at some point more Nazis would've been sent out to find out what happened (after all, the Tannis development was a personal project of Hitler's so he wouldn't just let things slide with the mysterious disappearance of his agents).
: The next batch of Nazis might have opened the Ark also and suffered the same fate but sooner or later some smart Nazi would've delivered the Ark intact to Hitler's feet. The Fuhrer would most definately have opened it. Probably in some big ceremony just like Belloq except with thousands of Nazis in attendance. They would all have been wiped out and hence no need for World War Two.

: So, what do you think? Did Indy unwittingly cause World War Two?

Pretty hefty, moral question, which is to say there is nothing wrong with discussing Indiana Jones as if he were a real person (people do the same for Sherlock Holmes). It's philosophical and collegiate, unless we break into some Star trek Vs. Star Wars-type nonsesne.

Anyway, ado with your query:

Sometimes, I wish there had been no exploration from any culture or civilation - EVER - and like to think what might have happened if so many civilations, cultures and tribes had flourished without fanishing - Incas and Mayans oh my! How different the world might have become? Hitler's ultimate goal was to ensure that wars and genocide would never happen again - through a process of war and genocide! Let's face it, he didn't need the Ark, and dreamed of a world unification. It was unrealistic, because as the States proved (Hitler didn't stufy enough, and see what happens?) even in a unification, there is still war. Damn, look at China today! Still, Indy Jones or no, everyone was out to stop Hitler at every price, including other German militants that did not agree with his pllllan or tactics. Not even all of them knew he was committing acts of mass genocide.

Ummm, lost track of where I was going with this - as I'm a bit drunk, sorry!

Your question should be "would Indy's world have been better off without him?" Just think, if oonly Remy had not been stopped by that Mexican who paid attention to Pancho Villa! Of course, you are presuming that the Ark does away with the face of whoever opened it. But would that have happend at all if Belloq had not performed the ceremony correctly? WEG doesn't think so (this is called Invocation). It could mean that Jews and Hebrews were the only ones with that access to the Ark's powers, OR it could mean that the Ark's function as a tool for an invincible Army required some other such invocation. So if Indy had not gone after the Ark and it evntually winds up in Hitler's hands, that does not neceessarily mean his face would have melted off (perhaps Belloq's player blew his Invocation skill roll! HAHAHAH! What I mean is, maybe his did the wrong ceremony?).

Remember, WWII was about far more than Hitler and his mad quest. Everybody had their own reason for birng involved, and who knows how much of that would have still happend without Hitler at all (the Japanese speing immediately to mind).

No one has filled in the gaps of how Inbdy spent his time during the WW2, but I'd like to see him get some South Pacific action this time round!

Cheerio!

Tigahhhhhhhhhhh!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: