Re: My reaction...to your reaction to mine...and now mine to yours to mine to yours

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultraman Tiga from ts003d20.las-nv.concentric.net on December 19, 1999 at 02:40:33:

In Reply to: Re: My reaction...to your reaction to mine... posted by GCR on December 18, 1999 at 10:32:26:

: Yes, trust me, I understood the movie just fine. But are you sure you understood my post? I said if Indy's father WERE NOT involved with the plot of the second movie, then the Indy character would have been the same as in the first two movies. The character changes due to the presence of the father figure, I am aware of that. And I am also aware of the differences in Indy's techinque due to the fact his father has been kidnapped, and am also very aware of the situation(s) that caused the falling out between them. I wasn't saying that Indy was the same in this movie, only that he would have been. The whole father thing added that twist and showed us a new side of his character, while other traits were less prominent due to the circumstances. I simply think this: Indy was pretty much the same character as in the other two movies, and although he was in a sort of dispute with his father, he still cared about him to a point, thus the reason he went looking for him in the first place. His father's kiddnapping gave Indy a new sense of urgency at wanting to make things right with his Dad, and his stubborness was temporarily forgotten, until, of course, his father was found...that's when the bickering started. As much as Indy despised his father, I believe he still harbored some sort of compassion for the man, as I'm sure his father did for him, they were both just to damn stubborn!
: -GCR

Okay, I get what you are saying. But why I think Indy's character is different in LC is because he goes back after the Cross of Coronado, demanding again that it belongs in a musuem. This is before his father entered the picture. But it can be taken either way, can't it? I say he's changed, never mind that he's snuck aboard The Old Man's ship looking for a fight, and then feels little or no remorse when it sinks and everyone is killed. It's indescernable wether his intentions were truly noble or piratical. If they are noble, then maybe this means Indy softens up at that moment? Maybe in trying to regain the Cross of Coronado Indy is really trying to regain the innocence and moral character that he had when he was 13?

Tiga

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]