WONDERFUL advice...!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ulla from 154.oak01.pon.net on December 20, 1999 at 09:46:40:

In Reply to: Re: Stetson fur felt fedoras: The Temple posted by GCR on December 19, 1999 at 18:04:48:

I think I'll tell "Santa" what hat I'd like. Thanks for the tips...the thoughts that Indy has so much crud on his hat that makes it a different COLOR would have "Slipped my mind!"
I tell you more about it once I (hopefully?!) get it!
Adventurously,
The Mad Hatter @ a Tea Party
(Ulla)

: I recently bought a Stetson temple through Miller hats, and the only color choices they had were Black, Brown and Gray. Obviously, I chose brown, and the hat looks great. Color wise it seems to be as exact a match as one can find without spending $300. The color is a mink brown, which is somewhat reddish, but still kinda dark. As Shorty said, the color of the hat in the movies is hard to distinguish due to the distressing process by the prop department, as well as the sand, dust, cobwebs, water etc. that all cover the hat at any given time, and the lighting used in some scenes vs. the natural light. But all this taken into consideration, I think the reddish brown is probably the better choice, it has the weathered look of the movie hats and most closely resembles the the color more than any other color does. I think as long as the hat is a basic brown you should be set, after all, the only way to be EXACT, is to buy a Herbert Johnson, and wear it while being dragged behind a truck etc. Hope this helps...and happy hat hunting!
: -GCR

: P.S.- I always thought that the hat Indy wears while boarding the clipper in Raiders (and again on the steps in DC) was gray...and not the same hat he wore throughout the rest of the film. I could be wrong, but it would explain why it looks so different color wise. The impression I got when I first saw Raiders, was that the Brown hat was his "adventure" or "travel" hat, while the gray hat was just his day to day hat for general wear. But then again, by the time of Last Crusade, he wears his "trademark" hat all of the time (ie- even when he isn't out hunting artifacts, but rather just on his way home after class) and his gray one (if it even exists) is no where to be found. Oh well...I still say go with the Nugat. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]