KAREN ALLEN and "The Indy/Marion/Abner thing"...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from 12.29.96.50 on December 20, 1999 at 18:13:50:

In Reply to: The Indy/Marion/Abner thing... posted by Rik Duel on December 20, 1999 at 15:54:16:

: As mentioned in earlier posts, the Indy-Marion-Abner story had been worked on as part of a planned Dark Horse comic project. I've actually heard one of the artists involved talking about it, and here's the thing -- The reason it never saw print is that Lucas himself nixed the idea! Seems that particular story is one that he thought he'd rather hold onto, either for fleshing out in the YIJC, or another Indy feature. He may have changed his mind since then, but the reason that we've yet to see this story in print is because that's the way the big man wanted it.

That's right -- good observation.

Actually, when Rob MacGregor was first approached to write an Indiana Jones novel (for those of you who don't know, the novels take place approximately between the YIJC series and the films -- set primarily in the early 1930's) he wanted to write about the Indy-Marion relationship, both chronicling their early affair while Indy was Abner's student, and perhaps even after the events in RAIDERS.

Marion was featured prominently within Marvel's comic series, THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES (which started in 1982 and lasted throughout the next three years, ending at about 34 or 35 issues), making her first appearence in issue #6 after much public demand.

While Indy managed to "meet" a variety of women along many different adventures, it was obvious that Marion was the primary love interest in most of the series, even after the release of TEMPLE OF DOOM in 1984. (Willie Scott never appeared in the whole series, though Short Round did have a small cameo in one issue.) Many of the earlier issues (particularly issues #6 through 18 or so) developed their relationship quite well -- I have always felt that the quality of Marvel's writing, at least in the earlier issues when the series was taken seriously, was far superior in story and character development than Dark Horse's series.

What I also liked about them were how Indy had a collective knowledge -- in other words, there was a CONTINUITY from one adventure to another, and Indy was able to grow and mature as a character from one story to the next.

One particular moment I really liked was in issue #14, I think (this is just from memory -- I have to check) and it was called DEMONS. It was just a one book episode, dealing with an uncovered ancient armor that had possessed the spirit of one of the museum's employees. Well, in the middle of being hunted down by this guy, Indy and Marion are trapped in a huge mansion. Of course, they bitch and yell at each other while facing death -- only to say, in unison, "I love you" -- a funny and touching moment right before the maniac returns to slice them in half.

Unfortunately, as the series lost its popularity the storylines became more and more rediculous -- and Indy was just another hunk action hero. Marion departed with surprisingly little fanfare around issue 26 or so (again, memory from stories I haven't seen in over 10 years) after she proclaimed she was finished putting up with him.

It was promised in a letters from the editor column that she would be returning, but the series was cancelled before the story was published.

It's possible that Lucas had intended to include Marion in yet another Indy storyline, and therefore wanted no one else to have her in a novel or such as to give him more freedom with the character.
It's also a shame that, throughout the whole YIJC series, Abner -- apparently a major figure in Indy's life -- is NEVER MENTIONED, much less his daughter.

Shame, because at this rate, I understand Allen will NOT be involved in a future Indy project (I presume the filmmakers would prefer someone younger -- a la Anne Heche with Ford in 6 DAYS 7 NIGHTS -- than a 47-48 year old Allen, who still looks beautiful, IMHO).

I actually met Allen at a charity event back in 1991-2, and while that WAS about 8 years ago, I must say she looked more beautiful then than she was made to look in RAIDERS the ten years before.... and she had just had A CHILD! (If you want to see a sexy Karen, check out the beginning of STARMAN of UNTIL SEPTEMBER.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]