ps: Indy and the public

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inbanana from spider-tr082.proxy.aol.com on December 21, 1999 at 01:51:19:

In Reply to: So, howza 'bout them there Jomon pots, hm? posted by Inbanana Jones on December 21, 1999 at 01:32:37:

Sorry, more... Yes, I'll agree that Indy does provide more popular exposure to archaeology (at least he did while those Hollywoodies were making Indy movies). Lately there have been interesting arch finds reported, with a noticable decrease in the allusions to IJ (e.g., "Jane Smith, Ph.D., a modern Indiana Jones, blah blah...).
Perhaps Indy movies did contribute something towards whetting public appetite for REAL archaeology/anthro. Many in the business do treat IJ with some disdain though; in my experience the cultural anthro-types often have more vehement opinions, such as "oh, that grave-robber", or "oh yes, another brave white man saving the natives". Both of these criticisms leveled at the movies have some merit, of course, but I think those saying such things are perhaps attributing more weight to an essentially light-weight pap/pop movie than it deserves (not to knock our brave hero, but they ARE just movies). However, cultural anthropologists are not known for their restraint in finding immense significance in transitory ephemera (no offense).
Many archaeologists express disdain also, but seem to harbor a secret glee that their rather humdrum occupation is associated with such a glamorous figure. There are tales of people claiming to be the inspiration for Lucas/Spielberg, of course, and there are those who wish to claim some of the hero's mantle for their own work. Such people are often visible attending the SAA and AAA meetings in field clothes and behaving badly after a couple of short drinks. Seeing such sights, one wishes to have a bullwhip near at hand to, well... never mind.
I wonder if your Japanese colleagues appear as sensitive to Indy teasing and remarks as do many American academics? Or if there is a particularly Nihon-jin response to this view of archaeo-adventure?
Such things might contribute nicely to this forum. You may even care to assume status as "Japanese Anthropology Correspondant" or somesuch here.
Best of luck in your endeavors. Watch the blowfish if the restaurant is too dimly lit...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]