Re: Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JuggleEwok from spider-tq042.proxy.aol.com on December 21, 1999 at 07:04:29:

In Reply to: Interesting, but I'm not sure I agree. posted by ROB T. on December 21, 1999 at 00:00:08:

: I do think it's odd that all the principals are suddenly backpedaling on Indy IV. You're right, for years Harrison Ford said he'd love to play Indy again. Just a few months ago he was shown on the news donning the fedora for the press. Now he seems to be distancing himself with claims of being too old or wanting to do more mature roles. (I hope "Random Hearts" isn't the direction Ford wants to push his career)

: I do have to disagree with your hype theory. Hollywood is built on hype and the only sure way that Lucas and company have of making Indy IV a success is to hype the hell out of it. I hear all over the place people saying that they don't want to see another Indy film; that the franchise is dead. If they make Indy IV in secret then they're just asking for a box office disappointment. But by hyping the crap out of it like they did with "Phantom Menace" they can build up expectations and reap the financial benefit.
: Hype didn't hurt "Phantom Menace" at the box office; it made 400+ million just in America. If they had made it in secret they wouldn't have had the news crews covering the crowds of people who camped out for weeks to be the first in line for it. Free publicity.
: In fact I think if "Phantom Menace" hadn't been hyped to the gills it wouldn't even have broken 100 million. Just think if the first thing you heard about "Phantom Menace" had been some critic carping on Jar Jar would you have gone to see the movie?

: I don't know what all this backpedaling on Indy IV is all about but you can be sure that if they decide to film it then we'll be bombarded with Indy IV hype up the wazoo.

Woohoo, Blue Harvest 2! Anyhow, I disagree here, I think Phantom Menace would have done quite well even without the hype, as it was a good movie, no matter what anyone says. Actually, I don't know anyone (in real life, anyway) that didn't love it! Anyway, I think it's the toys etc. that the hype was there for. If it wasn't for the hype, I'm sure that I, along with a hundred other people, wouldn't have been lined up at Toys R Us at midnight to get the toys, but we WOULD have been lined up to get the tickets. Besides, it seems like no matter how wretched sequels are these days, they do good (as long as the original was popular) so how could another Indy movie not do good?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]