An old timer reminisces.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on December 21, 1999 at 22:38:01:

In Reply to: To all you Indy "old timers": posted by Ulla on December 21, 1999 at 17:50:26:

I was sixteen in 1981 when "Raiders" came out and I saw it opening weekend with my mother and sister.
The world was a different place then; there really wasn't even cable TV yet and we didn't have all the news outlets we have now so I didn't know that much about the movie going in. I'd read an article in one of the monster magazines but that was about all. I remember thinking Harrison Ford sounded like a stupid choice to play a 1930's adventurer. He wasn't a star yet and I didn't think he could carry a movie alone (Jeez, was I wrong).
Within the first fifteen minutes my worries were over. The opening was letter-perfect, an amazing blend of action and humor. When Indy flew off in Jock's plane you could feel a change in the electical vibe in the theatre and everyone knew they'd just seen something special.
The rest of the movie lived up to the promise of the opening (unlike "ToD")
By the time the old man wheeled away in that warehouse and the Ark disappeared again and the lights came up, I was an Indyfan for life.
I saw "Raiders" again every week for the rest of the summer (roughly ten times). I also grabbed the novel and read it ten times and bought the poster and the screenplay.
I saw the movie again when it was rereleased the next year and introduced some friends to Indiana Jones. They were blown away as well.
Over the years I've seen "Raiders" in a theatre about thirty times, last time being this past July.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]