Thanks!(NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by GCR from spider-tp073.proxy.aol.com on December 21, 1999 at 23:14:21:

In Reply to: Bullwhip cost posted by D.Borton on December 21, 1999 at 23:01:24:

: : Now I know leather goods are usually pricey anyway, which is why I didn't think twice about spending almost $300 for my Wested (which I HOPE arrives soon, the wait is beginning to make me lose my mind...), but why are whips, David morgan whips in particular, so damned expensive? The don't serve as much of a practical purpose as a leather jacket does, so why the higher price? The reason I ask is because I have an old bullwhip, about 10 feet including the fall and cracker. The whip is Ok, it is brown, but the handle is totally different than the David Morgan style (my whip looks more like the whip in the Raiders Poster, or Video Cover), and the whip itself is too skinny. Having just purchased the raiders style gunbelt, I now want to focus on the things that go with it (ie Holster and whip) as none of the holsters I have are accurate, and the whip i too small for the holder. I was thinking about the Mark Allen 8 footer, as I had heard good things about the Mark Allen (some of them from this forum)and decided $300 was a "bargain" compared to the $440 for an 8 foot DM. Why are whips so expensive anyway? I thought the whip I bought years ago for $60 was expensive, now it seems "pretty cheap". What makes some of these other whips so much more? Is there anywhere to find a whip a little less expensive than the Mark Allen, that is still a decent Indy style? Is there anyone out there with an old, used DM or Mark Allen willing to sell it? Any help would really ...well...help. Thanks!
: : -GCR

:
: GCR, A great deal of time and effort goes into hand braiding a good whip. You’re paying for the materials, the craftsmanship and the name and experience of the whipmaker. David Morgan is recognized as one of the best around and the whips he makes are high performance, precision instruments. There is a big difference in the quality of his whips when compared to the medium and lower range whips, differences that significantly effect the whips performance. Some of the more noticeable differences are the weight and balance, the construction of the whips underbelly, the materials used as well as the detail of the workmanship.

: Aside from the bullwhip Mark Allen offers, there are a few whipmakers that are making an “Indy style” bullwhip for less. They are not copies of the Indy whip, but the basic shape and features of the Indy style whip is there. Depending on the whipmaker, most of them are still pretty good whips. Another option would be to contact one of the many recommended whipmakers, explain what you want and how much you’re willing to spend. The quality of the whip may be effected but it could save you some bucks.

: If you don’t feel comfortable with David Morgans prices, Mark Allen is probably the best way to go. Both are very high quality professional bullwhips, a little more so with the Morgan whip, but in either case you would be getting an exceptional bullwhip. Also both Indy whips pop up on e-bay occasionally so you might want to watch there.

: For more information check out the Bullwhip FAQ at http://www.bullwhip.org. Let us know if you have any other questions.

: Hope this helps

: Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: