I know what you mean! :)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on December 21, 1999 at 23:51:53:

In Reply to: What if Indy 4 was coming out next week? posted by Thuggee Bear on December 21, 1999 at 23:14:05:

: ROB T. mentioned something in his 'old timer' post that sparked something I was reminded of when TPM came out, about how there were very few avenues for 'spoilers' when these films first came out.

: I remember having no clue that TOD was coming out until about two or three weeks before it opened, when I saw the trailer for it on TV. Raiders was my favorite movie, and suddenly, out of nowhere here comes a sequel, and in a couple of weeks! I went nuts! LC was kind've the same experience, although I saw Good Morning America do an 'on the set' interview with Harrison Ford several months prior to its release. Still, before that, I had no clue. I don't miss the lack of advance info, just some of the thrill of surprise.

For some reason I also didn't hear about ToD until shortly before its release (yes, there was a time before the general public had even heard of an 'Internet'). Plus, I was almost 13 then so I guess I wasn't really paying attention at the time.

As for Last Crusade, I also only heard about it shortly before it came out (still no Internet, I'm afraid). Perhaps because I was living through my final year of high school, I had tons of other things going on. Plus, 'Batman' was the movie getting all the advanced publicity that year anyways (that was a great summer for movies! :D )!

In a way, I kind of miss having that feeling of "surprise". It seems that for the last few years there's so much advanced publicity (young people today probably don't remember a time without the Internet! ;)) that I tend to be burned out on the film even before I see it. That's probably what hurt 'The Phantom Menace' more than anything... I actually liked the movie, but the mega-hype and over-expectations heaped on the movie were unreal! :(

I guess this would be asking too much in the Internet-age, but I somehow hope (wish?) that I only hear about Indy IV about two or three weeks before it's released in theaters! :D

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]