Re: Well now...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-98.COL.cableone.net on December 22, 1999 at 05:16:13:

In Reply to: Well now... posted by GCR on December 21, 1999 at 23:57:51:

: : I would like to have the Wested only because it looks like an awesome jacket Although I could never feel comfortable in a jacket that cost me so much and I'd never have the nerve to wear it with a fedora. But I think I'd likethe Wested even if Toht had worn it or if I saw it on Woody Allen or someone else. It has nothing to do with Indy.
: : I can't understand spending hundreds of dollars to dress like a movie character. It seems to me that Indy (if he were real) would laugh his ass off at someone else dressing like him. If you went up to Harrison Ford in full Indy regalia I think he'd put out a restraining order on you.
: : Except for Halloween, you'd never catch me out in public dressed like that anymore than I'd go out dressed like Elvis Presley.

: : Anyway, all the talk on this forum about the minuteia of Indy's clothes reminds me of Trekkies. And we all know those geeks never get laid. I think walking around dressed head to toe like Indy would be the same as walking around with a sign on your back that reads "Eternal Virgin."

: : And I'm sure I just pissed off half the forum with this post but I don't mean it as any criticism of any of you. It's just I would never do it.

: If you would never do it, then why make such a big deal out of it. I don't think the people who collect Indy Gear go around every day dressed like Indy. The majority of the gear serves some practical purpose, unlike a pair of pointy plastic ears. The Jacket speaks for it self, even if you aren't into collecting the gear, it is still a fine jacket, and can be worn around without people thinking you are "dressing up" like Indy. The shirt and pants are the same, no-one would give you a second look. Even the Aldens, are practical, I hear they are a very fine and comfortable boot. Now add a fedora, and yes, you are bound to get a few (ok, A LOT) of funny looks. But I also don't think people who buy these things wear them around all at once, every day! Most days, I dress pretty formal (shirt and tie, suit coats, and of course, my fedora) as the office dictates. Wearing my fedora with my suit, I don't really get too many odd looks. besides, in my case, my fedora is not just an homage to Indy, but also a tangible memory of my late grandfather. It was originally his hat, an authentic period Stetson (so much like Indy's it's scary), so it has some personal value to it besides being an Indy collectable. And the rest of the stuff is practical in it's own right. the shirt is a nice shirt, I own many similar shirts, as I favor button shirts for casual attire. The pants as well, I only wear khakis, not because of Indy, just because I find them comfortable, and like the style. The same goes for leather jackets. I have owned several leather jackets in my lifetime, I like the look and feel of them, they suit my style well, I have ordered a wested, since it is a very nice jacket and also is an Indy collectable, plus it suits My personal style well. Since my style is similar to Indy's, I naturally took a liking to Indy's clothes, since they were very similar to my own. basically, I find the outfit reminisant(sp?) of the "good old days", 1920's 30's and 40's, a time I am sad to have missed. As for the other gear, such as guns, holsters, and whips and bags, well, they all serve a purpose for me (well, except for the whip, that is pretty much a display peice, but since I will everything else, it seems stupid not to have a whip.) the holster obviously would serve the purpose of holding a gun. the gun would be just great for target shooting, small game hunting, home defense and what have you. The gun belt would serve the purpose of attaching the holster to your person. the bag would be great to transport ammo and cleaning supplies to the range, or for keeping some small snacks and a water canteen for a short hike etc. All in all, collecting Indy gear is fun...albeit expensive. Even if you just want a really great display, and have no intention of wearing the gear, it is still a great hobby. Indy just means that much to some people...
: -GCR
: PS- Not that it's your business, but my girlfriend and I have a very splendid sexlife. Just because you can't understand why people collect indy gear, and YOU wouldn't do it, doesn't mean you have to bring in someones personal relations to the discussion, or compare them to a revolting trekkie...

I would never wear the compete outfit out unless it was halloween. With that said, I must confess that I wear my fedora daily. And when my wested gets here there is no doubt that I will wear the two together. Basically I could care less what people think, because "I" like this style of dress. Really when you think about it, doing this is no different than what the masses do all the time. Some monkey in Paris dons an outfit and the world makes like a monkey-monkey see, monkey do. Mark Twain said that as well. I feel quite comfortable in jeans, a flannel shirt, topped off with a wested and a fedora. Maybe I don't feel self conscious because I am 48, and perhaps a bit eccentric. As you get older I think you care less and less about what people think. I have never had anyone insult me while dressing the way that I want. But then again I am a pretty big guy, and would probaly call anyone on an out right insult. I have a habit of confronting rudeness head on. I am not beyond still using my fists when the situation calls for it-not bragging - just the facts. But then most of you have probaly heard how uncivilized we Southerners are. That's why I would just love to meet a couple forum members in person. This internet is like whiskey, it makes you brave, but in a different way. The rudeness that occurs here occasionally would be dealt with swiftly if it happened face to face. But I do have very high regards for 99 per cent of our members. Merry Xmas steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]