Re: It's all the internet's fault...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on December 22, 1999 at 06:11:21:

In Reply to: It's all the internet's fault... posted by ROB T. on December 22, 1999 at 04:04:56:

: The internet has sorta messed up our ability to be surprised by a movie. Back when "Raiders" came out I knew very little about the film beforehand. With "Temple of Doom" I followed its progress on "Entertainment Tonight" but I was still in the dark about the plot right up til opening day. With "Last Crusade" I was working as an usher at a movie theatre so I knew a little about when it would be released and I had a poster and T-shirt a few weeks early (we sold them at the concession stand) but the plot was still a mystery. The only spoiler anybody knew was that Sean Connery was playing Indy's dad. And that wasn't exactly a secret.
: With the proliferation of cable entertainment shows we get a lot of backstage stuff but they're still pretty good about keeping the plots a secret (to some extent). There's no such thing as a secret on the internet.
: If Indy IV started shooting today we'd get daily updates about the filming and the screenplay would be available for download everywhere you turned. I don't know about you but I'd be hardpressed to ignore the screenplay until opening day, so I'd already know the whole story before the movie ever came out.
: I love the web but this is one of the downsides to too much info.
: This year I knew the secret to "Fight Club" because of some jerk on "Ain't It Cool News." I'm just glad I didn't learn the ending to "The Sixth Sense" early too.
: No, I'm afraid that if Indy IV does get greenlighted then some of the magic of discovery will be dimmed by overexposure on the net.

That's why I avoided as many of "The Phantom Menace" websites and backstage-shows on cable as I possibly could before the movie came out... unfortunately, I couldn't completely avoid them all and thus some of the surprise was ruined. :(

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]