I haven't had more fun reading through an entire thread in a long time...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on December 22, 1999 at 08:27:11:

In Reply to: Before I get flamed, let me defend myself... posted by ROB T. on December 22, 1999 at 05:00:09:

I've only been into this "hobby" for a short time – about a year ago my wife finally got tired of seeing the puppy-dog eyes every time we would walk by the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost in Disneyland. "OK, go ahead and spend $300 on the jacket." Since then, two Wested's, a Cooper, a pair of Alden's, a Mark Allen whip, etc, etc. When I dive into a hobby, I really dive in.

When Halloween came and went I looked in the closet and had to ask myself "What does a CPA living in the suburbs need with a 10-foot bullwhip?" That went on ebay November 2nd. The holster will be next, maybe followed by the bag.

As for the rest of the gear, I consider them as practical and exceptionally high quality apparel. The Alden’s are the best things I've ever put on my feet. The jacket is timeless, unique, and of exceptionally quality. It's custom-made for @#?*&^ sake! The hat is a little tough. I just cannot wear hats, though I've always wished I could.

I work for a game company. It's a jeans and t-shirt environment - even for the executives. Heck, last week we silly-stringed our external auditors. It's pretty casual. I'm the Controller, and my standard dress is jeans, a t-shirt, a pair of Alden’s, and I've been known for going all day without taking off my Wested LC. The gear fits my lifestyle and my personality.

I guess that's what it boils down to. I do love the Indy movies. But I'm also a Humphrey Bogart fan, and I don't go around wearing double-breasted suits and trench coats. The selected Indy gear - boots and jacket mostly - just fit my lifestyle and personality. Period.

This is a great forum. The people I've met here are (99.9%) terrific, and span a broad spectrum of what "all things Indy" could be construed to cover. Everybody has a little bit of geek in them. Anybody who says they don't is either a liar or is just afraid to have a little fun in their lives. On the geek spectrum, though, I'd have to say an Indy fan is a far sight away from a trekie - and I like trekie's!

Anyway, this has been a fun one to think about.

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: