Finally saw some "Young Indy" today. All of those who want to see the arrogant ROB T. eat crow should read my review. SPOILER ALERT

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ROB T. from 162.10.138.197 on December 24, 1999 at 02:52:41:

I've been pretty vocal on this forum poking fun at the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles." I also admitted that the only episodes I've seen were the first couple and then I lost interest. Ultraman Tiga told me I should give the series another chance. He said things picked up after the first few shows and that I'd probably like it if I checked out some of the videos.
Being the open-minded soul I am I decided to seek out the ones he recommended. Couldn't find any of them at Blockbuster so I had to break down and buy them. I got chapters ten and eleven for 12.99 each (not a great price but better than the 15.95 I'd seen them going for at Suncoast).
I haven't had a chance to watch them both yet but I wanted to tell you what I thought of chapter ten. I watched it tonight and chose that one first so I would see them in order. Ultraman Tiga said you could almost think of them as two parts of one extended story.
"Phantom Train of Doom" is about Indy's adventure in the Belgian Army during World War One. Indy and his buddy Remmy are separated from their unit because of Indy's poor sense of direction (a trait Indy and I share). They end up three hundred miles away from where they're supposed to be and hook up with a band of older adventurers who recruit Indy to help them blow up a train that carries a huge cannon and is wreaking havoc on the good guys. Mayhem ensues as they carry out their mission (I especially liked the scene where the guy crosses from the uncoupled train cars on a tightrope)
There's a second mission where they kidnap a dangerous German Captain and here we meet an attractive enemy woman who tries to kill Indy. The episode ends with a daring escape aboard a balloon.

Okay, here comes the crow-eating part. I was very surprised at how good this was. The location scenes were awesome and really took advantage of the local color. I loved the fact that the leader of the good guys was played by Belloq from "Raiders." I was glad that the bad girl stayed bad right to the end instead of being transformed by a kiss from Indy (that's so cliche).
The film started out a little slow (not boring, just lacking in action) but once it picked up, it rolled along nicely. The action scenes were inventive (especially the tightrope scene). I liked the fact that Indy was a bit of a bungler (getting lost, ruining the dynamite, shooting up his own balloon). There was a good blend of humor and it never felt shoe-horned in like with so many adventure flicks.
And I especially liked how in the end Indy lost the prize (the kidnapped German) just like he does in the movies.
All-in-all I found this video quite entertaining and now I'm looking forward to picking up some of the others. The clips they showed at the end made the other tapes seem intriguing and now I'd like to see them.
I'm going to watch "Oganga, Giver and Taker of Life" tonight and I'll review it probably on Sunday night. If it's as good as "Phantom Train of Doom" then I'm gonna collect them all over the next several months.

I hope all you Young Indy fans will forgive my dismissing these tapes earlier. I'll reserve my complete judgment til I've seen a few more tapes but if they all are this good then I was wrong to act as though they didn't deserve the name Indiana Jones.

Man, these crow feathers taste like crap. I guess I shoulda washed it first.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]