About those hats...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stgeve from ppp-116.COL.cableone.net on December 25, 1999 at 07:27:55:

In Reply to: Re: And ... Archaeology is also a part of Anthropology, Don't you ever forget it !!! posted by 3k$ on December 25, 1999 at 03:15:33:

: :
: : MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!
: Have it on my wall, but I'm a Raiders man.Why,tell me why,didn't they get another Herbert Johnson hat for ol' Harry Ford...Twice?!!!? Raiders was an accident, a miricle, a confluence of so many correct intentions learned by the counter culture of the 60's and 70's,drug's peeling their sculls back,trying not to kill or be killed in 'Nam ,deeply disturbed by disco,sickened by Madona's "Material Girl"...Look at those boys, Lucas and Spielburg ,back in the day,long hair and beards...seekers of truth,lighting candles to show us a better way ....and then...Raiders, the greatest movie of all time!!! What was left to be done?? nothing.They got comfortable and stuoopid;The End.

I feel fairly certain that all 3 hats were HJ hats, I just think that they were all different hats made by the people that supply HJ with their Poets. The pics that I see on various web sites of the HJ even look like they are from different sources. Compare the one on Indy Diggs with the one that Dale Dassel bought. Not the same hat! The one on Indy Diggs is thinner, like the Raiders hat. I have heard from Custom Hatters that he has had people asking him if he could stretch the crown on a "just puchased" HJ by a guy out west. It seems he received an HJ with a 5 inch crown instead of the 5 5/8 inch one. I think that over the years HJ has retained selling the Poet, but at different times different blocked hats were sold as poets. this would explain the variation that seems to be noticable to me. I know this is antithema to many, but it appears so obvious to me. Same way with the 3 diferint hats used in the movies. Each was a totally different fedora. My local hatter noticed this right away. He asked me which one did I want? He noticed right away that all 3 were not from the same style blocke hat. At the time I thought he was nuts, because he deals in cowboy hats. As time has passed and I really started paying attention to Indy's fedoras, I have come to the same conclusion. I just wish we could find out who was supplying the hats or even cones to HJ at the time tey had the Poets for Raiders. I bet it is another European country, like Austria or Yugoslavia. The reason I say this is because I bought a Gary White(Custom Hatters) Indy fedora one year ago and I am not being biased, but this hat is as close as you can get to the raiders model short of taking Indy's off his head, which I wouldn't advise. His cones come from Yugoslavia, and the crown height is perfect. This hat is custom made to fit the head of the buyer. He has different shaped blocks corresponding to the shape of the customers head. Mine fits better than any hat I have ever owned, and that runs the gamut from stetson' to Bee Line hats(a cheap imitation) to even a Stetson Mallory. I have owned many stetsons and while they fit ok, they don't compare to the Custom Hatter version. Basically he is just coping the original Indy fedora. The one HJ probaly still doesn't offer. After wearing this hat for 1 year, I can only praise it. It still fits perfectly, and the felt has held up so much better than my stetsons. There has been no distortion of shape, and the extra wide sweat band inside has not had any shrinkage what so ever. No ridges that sometimes occurs when the band gets wet and drys. I don't know if this is due to the lamb skin he uses instead of split cowhide. I am lookking for my new Akubra to arrive for conversion, but I can assure that another custom Hatter fedora is on my list. The first one was Bronze in color, but my next one will be in the dark brown. I f anyone out there wears a fedora I would recommend trying out one of these. You won't believe the feel of this custom made fedora, or how accurate it is to the Raiders model. Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]