Re: A new hat?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brisco from fwk098144.res-hall.nwu.edu on June 11, 1998 at 22:02:03:

In Reply to: A new hat? posted by IJONES on June 11, 1998 at 12:05:33:

: In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade we see that what's his name, the "grave robber", gave Indy his hat. But the hat he gives him has a teardrop top and the one he wears in the present is a single crease. So, did Indy order an exact replica of the hat that guy gave him, or did he grow into that one and the producers made a mistake?

Well, presumably the had he's given and the hat he's wearing in the next scene, on the boat in 1938, are not the same hat. Why? Because, as far as I can tell, he loses his fedora in Raiders when he rides the submarine. We don't actually see what happens to his hat in the movie, but he doesn't seem to have it anymore on the island. He easily could have gotten a new one, or a spare, by the time of the scene at the end on the building steps. In the Marvel comic book adaptation, we actually see his fedora float off as he tethers himself to the U-boar. He comments that he's "lost my hat forever." SO, if this is the case, and he lost the 1913 hat in 1936, then he couldn't have the same hat in 1938. Then again, it's possible the producers just ignored that Raiders incident, or forgot about it, and the 1938 hat is supposed to be the same as the 1913 hat. (I assume this is the case, and that's how I like to think of it.) In that case, then Michaelson's idea works perfectly. BTW, which style did he wear in YIJC? I forget.
Brisco

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]