Re: A new hat? Let's remember the era shall we?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex Korycinski from ww-tr04.proxy.aol.com on June 12, 1998 at 06:08:22:

In Reply to: Re: A new hat? posted by nitzsche on June 12, 1998 at 02:35:55:

: I don't believe we are to think the hat given to Indy by Fedora (the
: character's name in the credits)is anything but representational of the "passing of the mantle" from one adventurer to the next. Indiana Jones adopted the look of Fedora (the hat, leather jacket, etc.). His entire getup comes from his confrontation with the looters in 1913. I think the hats we see when he is an adult are different and of the era (1930's)and complete the image Jones adopts in similitude of Fedora. I don't think the idea is that he always has worn the same hat--just that it is an intregal part of his life, a symbol, to wear (at all costs) a similar hat throughout his adventures. Besides, he clearly has many hats, including the raiders hats (one on the plane, one very beat up one, and the one in washington) etc., etc.

: --nitzsche--

Nitzsche, Exactly! Young Indy was as smitten with the "Whole Look" and character and additude of Fedora as we were all smitten in the first 5 minutes of Raiders. Of all the cinimatic segways (phonetic spelling) this one ranks right up there with Fedora putting his hat on Indy, Indy's face goes down, close in on the hat, pull back, and it's Indy on the Cross of Coronado. And come to think of it, it's the only segway Speilburg has ever done that I can think of outside of the Paramount Mountain openings.

Regarding the hat, does anyone expect Indy to be wearing the same hat 26 years!!! later? No, I think not. As you made mention of, he has lots of them; they were the style of day. Remember, every man wore a hat. So let's not think that Indy was being some sort of rebel for wearing a fedora.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]