Off into the sunset (corny, yes, but what do you want, it's the holiday season)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inbanana Jones from alpha3.csd.uwm.edu on December 29, 1999 at 07:22:45:

In Reply to: The Lone Ranger is gone. posted by ROB T. on December 29, 1999 at 04:09:44:

You're right about Mr. Moore being gracious to wonderstruck fans: I got to see him at some PR event long ago (during the sunglasses years). Although I knew as a kid that he was just an actor, and not the "real" Lone Ranger, the guy had a huge charisma, talked for a moment as though the kid before him was all that mattered, and almost, almost WAS that legendary figure from yore.
Some may laugh at the character's clean-nosed and upright do-gooding, and think it anachronistic in this later era. Earlier historical periods and their figures (and heroes) are invariably glamourised as simpler, naive, or less corrupt than the present. But to me, and more importantly to millions of others across years, Moore embodied principles that suggested one could forego corruption and triumph over evil and weakness. And, more directly related to this forum, he embodied and popularized a "serial adventure" format moreso than any other during an increasingly complex period. Moore's Lone Ranger stands alone, but also bridges periods in American culture between the "serial years" of the 1930s and '40s and the subsequent "revival" brought by Ford, Lucas, Spielberg, et al. (see Footnote 1). One has also got to admire the man for carrying on, after the fact and with such good cheer, the role that typecase him, yet also stood as an icon to the ideals of awestruck American kids. Moore truly rode the character's mount without irony and with complete earnesty, knowing that what it represented remains a purer expression of what a hero could be.

Footnote 1:
This "bridge" and Moore's contribution to American pop culture was noted and celebrated in a 1970s "Happy Days" episode, wherein leather-jacketed rebel Fonzie gushed his admiration for the Lone Ranger (as seen on TV).

You know you're a nerd when you put footnotes in IndyfanForum postings...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]