Wested woes, relatively happy ending (long post)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Elliott from 98CCB4AE.ipt.aol.com on December 29, 1999 at 08:58:57:

I've noticed a general trend in the past few months of people having trouble getting their Wested jackets in a timely fashion and constructed as specified. Here's an overview of my experience with them.

I ordered my Raiders jacket (lambskin, cotton lining, brass fittings for those of you keeping score at home) via e-mail on 10.30.99. I saw reports here that Wested's e-mail response was erratic, so I called them on 11.1.99 to make sure it went through. Peter told me about their problems with CompuServ, so I faxed a copy of the order while I had him on the line.

Unfortunately, during the course of several phone calls to check the status of the order, I also heard about the break-in, backorders of certain types of leather, production delays – and a distressing number of different reports about where MY jacket was in the production process. For instance, I was told three times, each a week or more apart, that there were about 10 jackets ahead of mine, but my jacket had been cut, was ready to be assembled and would ship soon.

Although I made it abundantly clear in my original order that the jacket was a Christmas present - you see where this is going - I had a sinking feeling it was not going to make it into Santa's USA bag. (I noted that my credit card had been charged pretty early on in the process.) I called again on 12.14.99 and got bad news: Despite earlier reports, my jacket had not even been CUT yet, much less shipped. Wested's Jerry Maher assured me there was still time, that the jacket would be assembled that day and in the mail no later than 12.16 - still in time to make the sleigh, as it were.

I finally lost my temper when I called on 12.22.99 and was told that my jacket was not only not on its way, it had not even been assembled yet. Short of putting the thing on the Concorde, it was not going to be there for Christmas.

To his credit, Jerry remembered our conversation the week before, and he seemed genuinely distressed. He said he would check into every available delivery option and call me back. He did so within the hour, promising to ensure the jacket was assembled and shipped as quickly as possible, but with the unpleasant fact that it would be at least a few days after Christmas at the very earliest. It showed up (in a surprisingly small box – the jacket is a marvel of light weight and strength) on our doorstep on Monday following Christmas.

Despite the disappointing process, the jacket really is beautiful. Aside from some minor cosmetic dings on the pocket flaps that I attribute to someone rushing to assemble the jacket and get it out the door, it is light, sturdy and very satisfying. [Aside - Assuming anyone has made it this far, can someone give me the precise dimensions for the Raiders collar and the LC collar? The collar on my Raiders jacket seems too big. Thanks!]

So, bottom-line: Kudos to Peter Maher for understanding how frustrating the process became for me, and for pulling out all the stops to get my jacket express-shipped. Despite the problems, I still recommend Wested, largely because the jacket itself is so satisfying.

Based on my experience (your mileage may vary), here are some suggestions for ordering:
• Send a very detailed fax with your order - check the Indygear.com site for more specifics on that. Wested's e-mail system seems unreliable.
• HOWEVER, I strongly suggest you call Wested directly to confirm that they have received the fax order. Be sure to get an order number!
• Also, if you have special requests for the jacket - extra zippers, extra facings, different hardware, etc. – I recommend you call Wested and establish a rapport. Although I asked about a zipper for the inside pocket and leather facings for the main zipper in my original order, neither made it onto my jacket.
• Call as often as you believe necessary and can afford. In my case, frequent phone calls didn't seem to help, but at least I had notes about my various conversations with folks there when the situation headed south.

In closing, I hope everyone will have a safe, happy, new year.

Cheers,

Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: