Re: Phoenix wasn't that great an actor...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stece from ppp-113.COL.cableone.net on December 31, 1999 at 05:12:11:

In Reply to: Phoenix wasn't that great an actor... posted by ROB T. on December 31, 1999 at 04:37:17:

: While I can't agree with you about Young Indy ever having a chance to be the greatest TV show ever, I will admit it's better than I remembered it. (Based on the two videos I've seen so far)
: I think Sean Patrick Flanery does a good job playing Indy and my only complaint about him is his slight build. However, I had the same complaint about Harrison Ford in 1981 if you can believe that. When I first heard that Ford would play a swashbuckling action hero my first impression was that he was too wimpy. If you watch "Star Wars," Ford has a very slender build himself at least in the arms. At least it seemed that way to me as a teenager.
: Anyway, I think Flanery looks as much like a younger Ford as River Phoenix does (although I still think Flanery is a spitting image of David Cassidy)

: I agree with you about the job that Phoenix does as young Indy in "Last Crusade." I saw it two weeks ago on the big screen and he did seem to just be doing a credible Harrison Ford impression.
: I don't quite get why so many people think Phoenix was such an incredible actor. Is it just because he died so young and people are reading more into his lost potential than into his actual body of work?
: True, Phoenix was very good in "Stand By Me" although Wil Wheaton was better. I hear River was great in "My Own Private Idaho" but I doubt most people have even seen it (I haven't).
: I saw his last movie "The Thing Called Love" and he was so drug-addled that he comes off as a total moron. Rent it sometime and you'll see.

: In the end I think Sean Patrick Flanery does as good a job as young Indy as any young actor could be expected to do and a much better job than the overrated River Phoenix.

I bet I am the only one here who saw the tv series before I saw any of the Indy movies. So basically I should have favored Flannery over Phoenix, since normally this is human nature. It didn't turn out this way. After watching the trilogy, for some reason I felt that comparing the series to the movies was like comparing apples to oranges. I can remember thinking when watching TLC how much the two young Indy's were different, in fact so much so, that I wondered how Lucas could have allowed this to happen. I don't dislike the series, it just seems to be about a different character who happens to have the same name as Indiana Jones. Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]