Happy 21st Century?!? We're still going to have to wait another year for that...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Goodsport from adsl-216-102-199-185.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net on December 31, 1999 at 10:31:27:

In Reply to: Tired of the Millenium Crap...Happy 21st Century! posted by Abner on December 31, 1999 at 10:01:25:

: I just want to say I'm REALLY tired of all the "New Millenium" stuff. As you may know, the next millenium actually starts in 2001. Personally, I can't even relate to the idea of 1000 years. I'm much more interested in the idea of a new century. As a student of more recent history, I can relate to that. Remember all that "Fin de Siecle" stuff in the 1890s? A fascinating time. Given what science and technology accomplished from 1800-1899, the turn of the 20th Century was an incredibly optimistic time- of course we know people were later quite dissappointed by World War and Economic Depression. As a result, today we have a much more cautious view of technology and its benefits to humanity.

: The 21st Century Looks like it will hold some of the greatest dangers and challenges yet- world population explosion, ever accelerating environmental destruction, nuclear proliferation, the increasing power of governments to monitor their citizens every move...will technolgy control us or will we control it? Sometimes I wish the Y2K bug would be literally true, and the world would all of a sudden go back to 1900! Yes, I plead guilty to romanticising the past at times. What Indy fan (or movie) doesn't? A little nostalgia is a healthy thing. Anyway, here's wishing fun and exciting adventures and the best to everyone here in the New Century and New Year!

: Happy New Year!
: Abner

Actually, the 19th century was 1801-1900 (which ended at the end of December 31, 1900), just like the 20th century is from 1901-2000 (ending at the end of December 31, 2000). Sorry to be so nitpicky, though. :)

I can't say happy New New Millenium or Happy New Century today because both of those will actually occur at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2001. So I'll just simply say...

Have a Happy New Year! :D

-G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: