What amazes me most is that we went from covered wagons to the moon in less than a century!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by The Man with the Hat from port65.maxc06.bignet.net on December 31, 1999 at 12:21:30:

In Reply to: Tired of the Millenium Crap...Happy 21st Century! posted by Abner on December 31, 1999 at 10:01:25:

: I just want to say I'm REALLY tired of all the "New Millenium" stuff. As you may know, the next millenium actually starts in 2001. Personally, I can't even relate to the idea of 1000 years. I'm much more interested in the idea of a new century. As a student of more recent history, I can relate to that. Remember all that "Fin de Siecle" stuff in the 1890s? A fascinating time. Given what science and technology accomplished from 1800-1899, the turn of the 20th Century was an incredibly optimistic time- of course we know people were later quite dissappointed by World War and Economic Depression. As a result, today we have a much more cautious view of technology and its benefits to humanity.

: The 21st Century Looks like it will hold some of the greatest dangers and challenges yet- world population explosion, ever accelerating environmental destruction, nuclear proliferation, the increasing power of governments to monitor their citizens every move...will technolgy control us or will we control it? Sometimes I wish the Y2K bug would be literally true, and the world would all of a sudden go back to 1900! Yes, I plead guilty to romanticising the past at times. What Indy fan (or movie) doesn't? A little nostalgia is a healthy thing. Anyway, here's wishing fun and exciting adventures and the best to everyone here in the New Century and New Year!

: Happy New Year!
: Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: