On Wested and the different leathers available...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from gw.wizards.com on December 31, 1999 at 13:41:41:

I'm getting ready to place another order with Peter, and have been doing quite a bit of research on the various types of leathers available. I want to get a new finish Raiders, and am grappling with some of the issues others apparently are as evidenced by recent posts, i.e. the look of lambskin with the weight and look of heavier skins.

Here's my take on it:

It is my understanding that what Peter was accustomed to using at the time of Raiders, et al, was lambskin in the upper end of the garment leather range - around 4 oz. What he is currently using (that is, what is available) is probably in the 3-3.5 oz range. It is really only going to be marginally thinner. From what I can find, 3-4 oz weight skins are what are suitable for garments. Anything lighter is used for lining handbags, wallets, etc, and anything heavier is just not suited for garments.

I've heard that the cowhide is too grainy? The cowhide used on the predistressed jackets is very smooth. There are some areas that tend to show more grain then others, but that is the nature of the leather. The tanning process and remove the grain all together and emboss whatever finish is desired.

As I understand it, this is what Peter is currently offering with his new finish cowhide. During the tanning process, the cowhide has been sanded and embossed with a lamb finish grain. The result is leather with the weight of cowhide but the look of new lambskin. This is virtually identical to what has been offered with the predistressed jackets, except they have an antique finish that ages more rapidly.

As to what I'm going to order - I'm up in the air. I'm waiting to hear how others like the new cowhide. I'm leaning towards the lambskin, though, as I already have the heavier predistressed cowhide.

I've rambled enough...

Cheers!

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: