The Iron Giant. YES!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DeWayne from ppp404.elkgrove.net on January 02, 2000 at 15:34:40:

In Reply to: favorite films of 1999 posted by Adam on January 02, 2000 at 08:58:19:

You have good taste my friend. How does this tie in with Indy? Well, because like when I first saw Raiders, I knew movies like these are why people make movies in the first place. To tell a story. They also raise the bar for every movie that I see after.

Sadly, The Iron Giant was completely mis-marketed. It looked like a movie for kids about a kid and his pet giant. Since it was animated, that made it even more confusing. For me, the only way to really tell people what to expect is like a cross between E.T. and Terminator 2! That description doesn't do this movie justice, but it's the best I can come up with. By the end of The Iron Giant, I pretty much forgot I was watching an animated movie.

I went to see it just a few days before my late brothers birthday. My emotions were kind of on high anyway. I had no idea what to expect. I had seen every other movie out at the time, and I thought IG looked interesting. Really, it's a movie about being who you choose to be, and more importantly, about the immortal, indestructable soul. I don't ever recall seeing a film with such a conversation about souls in a film. It's a memorable scene to say the least. By the time of the amazing finale to this film, there I was, a burly, bearded construction worker, (who didn't even cry when I saw E.T. when I was 9) with tears in my eyes. I walked out of the theater that night shaking my head, "Did I just see that?" Definately my favorite film of the year, quite possibly the decade!
See ya! DeWayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]