Re: Young Indy and Lawrence of Arabia...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dienekes from spider-tp033.proxy.aol.com on January 02, 2000 at 16:00:53:

In Reply to: Young Indy and Lawrence of Arabia... posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert on January 02, 2000 at 12:11:39:

: OK, as we all know in the Young Indy's, Indiana Jones is good friends
: with T.E. Lawrence (better known to you and me as Lawrence of
: Arabia)., and every time Indy talks about him or sees him, he refers
: to him as Ned Lawrence (note: I've only seen the 12 released Young
: Indy's). My question is: Why is he being called Ned? Is it short
: for something? Now, I'm a big fan of the movie, Lawrence of Arabia,
: and characters like Prince Feisal (sp?) and the British generals never
: refer to him as Ned. Is there any explanation for this?

: Also, I'm wondering when did Lawrence die? I suspect it was about
: 1919 or 1920 (I could be wrong). If that is the case, how come Young
: Indy made no mention of that or attended the funeral?

: Any explanations?
: ---------

T.E. Lawrence Died in 1935 at the age of 46 after retiring from the Air Force. After the "Great War" Lawrence was a bit of a public figure. In 1922 he re-entered the military by joining the air force under an assumed name, "John Hume Ross". within weeks he was discovered and discharged from the RAF. Next Lawrence enlisted in the Tank Corps as TE Shaw, he then transferred into the Air Force two years later. Lawrence spent the next few years in the service and writing leters to friends including George Bernard Shaw and Winston Churchill. Lawrence also translated "The Odyssey" for an American publisher and wrote "The Mint", a story about his experiences in the RAF. In 1935 Lawrence was discharged from the RAF and was killed several weeks later, when on his motercycle he tried to avoid a young boy on a bicycle. "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" was written by Lawrence in 1922 and it describes his ecxperiences in Arabia during his various military campaigns. It is very good reading if you are interested in him.
Cheers,
Dienekes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: