Hat band jack...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on January 03, 2000 at 09:57:37:

In Reply to: Re: HOW TO MODIFY YOUR INDY 554 posted by Steve on January 02, 2000 at 15:55:06:

: : I tried this step on my 554 and it worked for a while until I became so obsessed that I ruined the hat. However, this step changed the shape into a centerdent and made the crown higher.

: : First, you need steam. I used my steamer(tea kettle)

: : First, take the top of the hat and steam it(remember, just a little steam. If you totally soak it, you'll ruin the hat like I did)

: : Now, poke the top up(it should look like the picture of the indy hat in the Smithsonain on Luger's Fedora page)

: : Now, just wait while it "drys"

: : The next step now will be to crease the hat. Find the middle Now, take more steam to the top of the hat and let the steam touch the top of the hat. Now give the hat a good center dent.

: : The next step will be creasing the front of the crown. Let the steam
: : touch the front. Now, give the hat a good, sharp crease down the middle of the front part of the crown. If you crease it too much, you'll ruin the hat. Crease it enough so that it looks like the crease of the McAlpine on Lugers Fedora page.

: : Now, you need to work on the brim. You'll need an iron for that one(well, you can use steam, too.)
: : The steam has to touch the crown so that you can flatten it. Now, look at all 3 indy movies and decide which kind of crown you want, as they are all different in all the movies(kind of).
: : Steam the hat and give it the brim crease you want.
: : Now, let the hat dry and place a hat jack inside so that it wont shrink on your head.

:
: : *All this information came from someone who told me that I could modify my hat at home(he was indeed a hatter,too). Well, I hope this works...it did for me!

:
: I have used the same methods in shaping my fedoras for a few years now. I recently changed from steam to cold water, although ocassionally I still use a clothes steamer if I don't want to wait for the hat to dry. Too much water and the hat will invariably shrink- especially at the hatband, causing the leather band to wrinkle up. This can be uncomfortable. I think that I need to invest in a hat jack, question is, where can I order one from? I might add that after I get the desired shape, I spray the inside of the hat with a hat stiffener,to help keep the shape for longer periods of time. It is my experience that soft felt hats get mishapened over time, depending on how well the hat is treated. To top this all off, I then use Scotchguard to help in water repellancy, and stain removal. Maybe this is over kill, but I really take care of all of my gear. Ah works hard fo my money. regards, Steve

These can be ordered from David Morgan. If you're needing a "long oval" shape, you'll want to order a size larger than your suggested hat size. Just follow the instructions on the DM page. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]