Good question, as always...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em11-686.utsi.edu on January 06, 2000 at 09:35:47:

In Reply to: Why the Obsession with indy clothes? posted by Cup Of Christ on January 05, 2000 at 16:42:38:

: Not to sound rude but, why is alot of this forum about buying indiana jones clothing and stuff? I admit, I bought a Indiana Jones Fedora but that was just for fun. Does anyone actually dress like Indy?

This question is asked pretty often, and still deserves an answer. Why not? This is just another facet to the hobby, collecting the items from the movie, just like any other hobby that involves "things". I could rattle off quite a few such groups that do the same thing, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc. I guess the most interesting thing is that you have so many levels of collectors of the Indy gear (as we call it), and all of them are just as good as the next. To use my own terms, you have the purists who must have the exact items as made by the original manufacturers in as close a design as the original items, right down to the correct wear and tear as seen on the screen. You have another level of purists who want the same items, but not pre worn...just as new from the makers. You then have the folks who mix and match, buying what they can original, and substituting items in place of the originals until they can either afford a real one, or are just satisfied with the items they have come up with for use. I place myself in that category. You then have the folks who are purchasing items that are substitutions for the actual manufactured items, for reasons from the originals are to expensive to they just want the appearance, not the pricey item itself. You then have folks who just want to capture the spirit of the character and use what ever they can find to represent the outfit. Some wear them, some just use them for display. The interesting thing to all this is the discovery of the fact that the real items are actually better in quality than expected. I have worked in the media production field for 25 years. One of the rules of thumb is "it doesn't have to be, it only has to APPEAR to be." The movie industry doesn't practice this. They believe if the actor/character isn't in the real thing, they won't ACT like the real thing, therefore no limits are put on the costumers regarding quality and fit of their products. It's correct and quality in every respect, even if it's hidden in the folds of the seam of the Wested coat and will NEVER see the light of day, YOU know it's actually there. I've never experienced that concept before, and it's a real pleasure to actually own such an item. Yes, I personally wear many of the items on a daily regular basis, but was doing so before Raiders even came out, so it was neat to suddenly become in "style", when before you were (as many have stated here) just pointed out as being "odd". Suddenly you're the stylish one. Once again, for me, an interesting concept. I don't know whether this rambling has answered your inquiry, but I hope it helps move you in that direction. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]