Re: Waiting is the hardest part

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from redx19.xyplex.com on January 06, 2000 at 14:57:04:

In Reply to: Re: Waiting is the hardest part posted by Michaelson on January 06, 2000 at 08:12:08:

: : 4 weeks and counting 'til my wested is due. I can't wait. The hype better be right about this jacket, cause if not I'll be terribly disappointed. I know a lot of people have said these things are durable, but how do they stack up against other leather items you guys have owned? Since I've never had a leather garment before this one, I've been reading up and people keep talking about this leather treatment you have to give the jacket, but how often does that have to be done? is that a weekly, monthly, yearly thing?

: : Impatiently waiting,
: : Brian K.

: Briefly, treatment completely depends on the area you live in. As you read below, Patterson has to treat his more often because he is on the West Coast, and in a very wet climate. I, on the other hand, usually don't have to treat the jackets but twice a year...as I take it out to put into service, and just before I put it away for the hotter part of the year. Then there is the usual situation of whether I get soaking wet, or the jacket is subjected to several days of subfreezing weather. The Pecards treatment on the cowhide version works well for both those situations. If you have a lambskin, a Lexol (or if you're REAL fortunate, the Letap from England) is the product I recommend for the same scenarios. As to comparisons with other leather gear I've owned....now that's much more difficult to answer. How do you compare a high end Lexus automobile to a Chevy? They're both cars aren't they? (grins) That's about the best comparison I can personally offer. Regards. Michaelson

Thanks for the info man. I live in MA, so Letap probably won't be an option. I am ordering a lambskin with cotton lining. As for Chevy v. Lexus... the Lexus costs more :) Seriously, I'd judge it by how fast and how well it ages. I'd like a durable coat that doesn't show wear easily. Not that I want my coat to look new...I plan to abuse it for all its worth....but what I do want is a coat that won't fall apart because of all the abuse. I have a friend with a leather coat and all the "pressure points" ( for lack of a better phrase ) look like crap. There are cuts in it, the leather's cracking, the cuffs have bits of leather missing. It's only a 5 yr old coat....I know someone else who has a coat that's decades old that he got from a great uncle, and although it looks well used, it looks a good well used, ya know? Basically, if I like the coat this much when I first get it, I don't want to ever have to buy a new one unless I just want a new one for whatever reason...

I suppose it has a lot to do with the type of leather used, but I have no idea how good lambskin is. I can tell you that buying a wallet is a yearly thing for me out of necessity cause the stupid thing falls apart so fast.... That's about the only leather item I've ever owned though....and I know that's a whole different league than a leather coat, so that really doesn't matter.

maybe my standards are too high for this jacket...

Regards,
Brian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: