Re: That's why I went with the Drover... (or in my case, the Bushman.)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack Skellington from spider-wk083.proxy.aol.com on January 07, 2000 at 10:10:02:

In Reply to: Re: That's why I went with the Drover... posted by Steve on January 05, 2000 at 19:31:23:

: I paid 350.00 for mine last year, and this was way too much. I justified it to myself by thinking, well it is custom made. Still that is just too much for a felt hat without a few gems and gold threads thrown in with the deal. But it is the best looking fedora I have seen as far as the shape and height of the crown. Of course I am predjudiced and it is obvious why. I do like the Bushman, it just falls a little short in my opinion. I do enjoy the searching though, it gives me something to do and an excellent escape from the pressures of living in the age that we do. Regards, Steve

Greetings guys- as I have been away for a while, I see I missed my favorite subject....the fedora. I have to say IN MY OWN OPINION that the Bushman is fantastic once it has the correct ribbon and bash. I had been drooling for a HJ since I first saw attended the "Raiders" premiere but this is the first hat (after so many trys) that has satisfied that hunger. I had first ordered a Squatter as the pic in David Morgans catalogue looked good. I ordered a grey and had it cut down to 2 3/4 all the way around and pinched the front like Raiders and had a black band put on it. It ended up looking like Indy`s dress hat at the last scenes of the film. But the crown was just a little too short after the deep bash and tight pinch.
I then ordered a Bushman from Morgan and as soon as I opened the box I was off to San Antonio to have it remodeled. I had the brim cut to 2 5/8 and had a wide black band put in with the DISTINCT Raiders bash. I then cut the sides down myself following the wonderful instructions on Indy Gear and even though I made a slight mistake and one side is almost 2 1/2, the mistake made the brim flip up just right and now I have a fedora that deeply resembles the hat in the jungle temple scenes. It is awesome. My wife nags because when I drive I put it up on the dash (I know that is not very good for the hat) but I love to just look at it. And from every angle, every light it appears just like that darn hat in the opening sequences. All my friends have commented on how exact it appears even the two who own Stetson Indy hats. And theirs look considerbly smaller next to mine. The color may be a little off but it shapes up nicely and is definitely darker than the Drover on Indy gear, which by the way was an excellent job modifying. Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to add my two worthless cents to my favorite topic as I am as obssessed as you both are about the topper. Instead of the HJ I am considering getting a wested now with perhaps another Bushman so that I could beat the heck out of it for the used look. Maybe, if I could afford it. Isn`t it sad to think that after all the hats we have purchased in our pursuit for the perfect hat,with that money, we probly could have bought the entire authentic Indy outfit? Darn it! ):-)
Take care my friends-Happy hat wearing
Jack Skellington!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: