Re: help with fedoras

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-192.COL.cableone.net on January 07, 2000 at 20:02:13:

In Reply to: Re: help with fedoras posted by GCR on January 07, 2000 at 19:22:23:

: : does anyone here know if indys hats were wool or felt and if the hats on this page are any good, i really want a fedora but can't afford to spend over 100 so i was wondering if anyone knew if these were any good

: : thanks

: : http://members.tripod.com/~Queen52/eighthpage.html

: Despite the fact that the hats on the page mentioned bear the "official" title and Indiana Jones name, they are generally regarded as poor quality representations of Indy's hat(s). If you are working on a limit of a $100 or less, I'd say save up and look into the Stetsons. The Stetson "Indy" is nice, as is the "Temple" (don't believe everything you hear about this hat, with a little work, and some water or steam, you can easily remedy the taper. I have and it looks great, plus it sports the dimensional cut brim). Try Luger's Fedora page for in depth info, and analysis (check the links at Indy Gear). As for Indy's hat- it was made out of Fur Felt, better quality than wool felt, fur felt is softer to the touch and also looks better.
: Hope all this helps!
: -GCR

Yep, I love that factory cut dimensional brim too. I understand that a hatter can reblock the crown to get the taper out, I was just wondering how you did it, without reducing the crown height. I tried to stretch out a Nostalgia to make the hat taller, to no avail. I think if I would have had some way to keep a properly shaped of wood in my hat size inside the crown as it dried, the results would have been better, but since I didn't, the crown shrunk back to the original size when it dried. what's the trick? regards, steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]