Re: Custom Hatter Fedora

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve from ppp-119.COL.cableone.net on January 09, 2000 at 19:20:41:

In Reply to: Custom Hatter Fedora posted by GCR on January 09, 2000 at 15:16:08:

: I have read about this hat from time to time in this forum, and recall that the Custom Hatter hat is supposedly a damn good match for the Raiders hat. I have only seen the picture of the "INDY" at the custom hatter site, a picture that doesn't really seem to justify the enormous price. However, with the controversy surrounding the whereabouts of the HJs and the rumors that the hats aren't even the same etc. I have decided that I would like to look into the Custom Hatter Fedora instead. After all, if I can save up $300, why not save $400 and get a hat that looks even better...or does it? That is my question for all of you out there who either own a Gary White fedora, or have seen pics. How does it measure up to the current HJ offerings and the Hats in the films? Does anybody have any decent pictures of it? I would really like to look into this hat, if it turns out to be as nice as I have read, than I won't hesitate to spring for it, but I just can't seem to make a financial leap like that without a little more info first. So- if anyone has a picture of a Gary White "Indy" fedora, please post it here or email me with it attached. Or if anyone can give me some decent info about this hat, etc. Please reply.
: As always, any info is much appreciated-thanks!
: -GCR

I bought a Custom Hatter fedora last year and the picture on his web site doesn't do it justice. When I bought mine gary was offering it in 2 colors, nutmeg(a medium dark brown), and bronze( a shade lighter than the mink color stetson sells). I bought he bronze because I wanted it to look faded from wear. To date this is the finest hat I have ever owned. I feel it is closer to the raiders fedora than the curent offering of HJ, but take this with a big grain of salt, because this is only my subjective personal opinion. I have only pics of the HJ hat to compare it to, and photos can be deceptive at times. But I am absolutely certain that no other fedora talked about here is even in the same ballpark with the Custom Hatter fedora. I have owned 5 different so called Indy fedoras, and not one was even close in proper crown height. And not one had that distinctive Indy look to my eyes. I do know that one day I will buy another Custom Hatter fedora, this time in the darker brown, because this hat is really super high quality, and it is made to fit your personal head shape which makes it the most comfortable hat I have ever worn. I took some pics of this hat today for abner and as soon as I get them developed and scanned I will e-mail them to you if you want. I finished my Akubra today and will have some pics of the 2 hats side by side as a comparison in looks. I have had some reservations about the HJ fedora because I have seen various photos online and it appears to me that there has been some variation in the hats he is selling for Poets. I could very well be wrong of course. One thing is certain, if you get a Gary white fedora, the next one will be just like it in looks, no variation here to worry about. If you ever call him to order, I have found that he is a really friendly guy, and if you are the same to him, he will discount the price advertised. He was asking 400.00 when I talked to him and he ended knocking off 50.00, because in his words, "I seemed like a nice fellow". Regards, Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]