Re: Thoughts and Questions on why Lucasfilm is abandoning the current DVD format?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Darth Maul from spider-tn082.proxy.aol.com on January 09, 2000 at 19:38:06:

In Reply to: Thoughts and Questions on why Lucasfilm is abandoning the current DVD format? posted by belloq on January 09, 2000 at 14:09:35:

: Hello. In writing this, I hope to start a fact and opinion finding process about Lucasfilm's hesitation in adopting the current DVD format (thereby delaying the digital release of the Star Wars and Indy series.) Upon reading the Lucasfilm press statement regarding the April Episode One video release, I found the sentence at the very end of the release to be a brief and mysterious bit of information. "no dvd in 2000 or for the forseeable future." This statement can only mean that Lucasfilm sees DVD as problematic or unprofitable.
: However, because Lucasfilm is releasing it only on VHS, it is obvious that they agree that Laserdisc is dead as a viable consumer format. The only reason for this attitude is DVDs ascendance as a superior value to LD in both performance and customer ease of use and adoptation. And remember that Episode One was all digital during post production. With minimal preparation, it is ready to go straight onto a consumer digital format. Being a wealthy and technologically progressive company which can only benefit from a DVD release, we must speculate further as to reasons why Lucasfilm would not release DVDs "for the forseeable future."
: The only information (or rumor) floating around at this point is that Lucas, or his technical advisors, believe that the DVD format will be changing soon and that releasing films in an unstable format now would confuse and perhaps erode certain consumer bases. The changes that have been noted are an improved high definition (HD) video quality, perhaps the inclusion of more or higher quality audio channels and the theoretical development of a "blue laser" which would allow dvd or similar disc-based software to hold much more information.
: Overall, I agree with that view. However, technology is changing so fast today that a release on multiple digital formats would not so strange. Aferall, DVD is software. And like computer software, future multiple formats could include pc, mac, cd-rom, dvd-rom, hd-rom, internet or satellite download, or a custom format of some kind. In light of Lucasfilm's broad consumer reach, each kind of format release would create revenue and would not confuse or dissatisfy consumers and fans. According to recent DVD player sales, the video rental market alone might support a release on DVD.
: In light of the above, therefore, what I am wondering is what are the hidden reasons that Lucasfilm is not releasing its films on digital formats at all? Do they know something that we don't?

: Lucas is a jerkweed. Thats the reason.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]