I'm not so sure...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian K. from redx19.xyplex.com on January 10, 2000 at 17:23:02:

In Reply to: HDTVs will be the standard posted by belloq on January 10, 2000 at 10:35:19:

While I do believe HDTV will take over the market eventually, there's something to be said for the "good enough" factor. Remember, beta tapes are actually higher quality than VHS, and look who won out? The other thing is, since DVD is just getting into widespread acceptance now with the major studios, are they really going to want to support another format so soon? There's a limit to how many copies of a movie people will buy. Personally, unless DVD goes the way of BETA, then I have no motivation to buy HDDVD anything. The whole reason I got a DVD player this year was to convert my collection to digital format, so that I wouldn't HAVE to buy the movie ever again, as tapes do wear out. If Lucas believes that HD-DVD will take over within the next couple years, then he's probably right not to release a DVD, as much as I'd like to see one. I desperately want the DVD of Indy, since I've vowed never to buy another tape, but I understand it. There's substantial effort needed to release a DVD. Are you really going to want to pay someone to re-master all your movies AGAIN in two years for HD-DVD?!? Is the money you make in DVD's now really going to offset that?

Just lots of things to consider -
Brian K.

: HDTV is already here and will be the standard sooner than you think. Once people see the quality of the format, sales will skyrocket and prices will plunge. Higher quality HD video already exists in some broadcast markets. Big screen HDTV monitors are being released monthly and will be down to near $1000 very soon. You can also purchase HD video tape recorders right now. All video monitors and broadcasts will slowly be converted to the digital HD format (widescreen 720 lines, progressively scanned or 1080 lines, interlaced) to replace the lower quality of NTSC and even the DVD format (full screen 480 lines, interlaced). Therefore, it makes some sense to wait on major video and audio electronic purchases for the next couple of years. Digital video monitors, players, processors, broadcast receivers and recorders will all be released and reduced in price more quickly due to their connection to the computer industry. And believe me when I say THE PICTURE QUALITY ON THESE SYSTEMS WILL BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF. It will be worth the wait. I just don't understand why Lucasfilm would not want to make money on the current DVD format now, and then again with HD-DVD.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]