Re: We are currently neither in the the new Millenium nor the new Century (and won't be until 2001)... what I meant was that this current forum page is on the 100th Vault archive (or whatever it's called)! :D (nm)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hopkins from 1Cust232.tnt6.lorton.va.da.uu.net on January 11, 2000 at 17:02:50:

In Reply to: We are currently neither in the the new Millenium nor the new Century (and won't be until 2001)... what I meant was that this current forum page is on the 100th Vault archive (or whatever it's called)! :D (nm) posted by Goodsport on January 11, 2000 at 01:06:02:

: . I disagree because the new millennium must necessarily begin after the previous one thousand year period has been completed. Starting from ground zero, the first year of the millennium was completed on December 31, Year Zero, or, in other words, on January 1, Year 1, exactly one year had been completed. Following this logic, the first century was complete as of January 1, A.D. 100, the first millennium as of January 1, A.D. 1000, and the second millennium as of January 1, 2000. In other words, January 1, 2000 will commence the third millennium.

This counting comports with how we count our own life spans. We celebrate our first birthday, not on the day we are actually born, but on the day that we have completed one year of our lives. When we turn one-year-old, we have lived exactly one year. Or, by analogy, when our world turns 2000, it will have "lived" for two thousand years, and will have, therefore, completed two millenniums and be ready to enter the third.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]