In defense...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Trek from redx19.xyplex.com on January 11, 2000 at 17:38:37:

In Reply to: I agree! I feel like we're surrounded by convention geeks with Spock ears and phasers... (nm) posted by Beowulf on January 11, 2000 at 13:56:42:

Now wait just a minute! I see a huge difference here. Now lets see...envision this scenario...you open a closet and see A) Jim Kirk's Starfleet tunic or B) Indy's shirt and jacket. Which one are you going to wear to the grocery store?????

People who habitually wear Starfleet uniforms, or Jedi robes or whatever, are in a whole different league. Do I think owning a Wested is going to make my life more adventurous? of course not. I am a BIG Star Trek fan. I watch it or tape it whenever its on. That having been said, I've never been to a convention, worn spock ears, costume makeup ( outside of halloween ), or a Starfleet duty tunic. I've never even CONSIDERED buying one. I am buying a Wested. I watched Indiana Jones and thought, "Gee, that was a pretty cool movie and that's not a bad coat." I watched Star Trek and thought, "Gee, those costumes suck, but it was a good story."

The difference here is that, though it may be Indy's jacket, I won't feel self conscious about wearing it and I like it. If I did the same with a Starfleet uniform, I'd feel like an idiot. Now if you like Star Trek uniforms or Jedi robes as fashion pieces, I'd say you need to find other outlets for your energies. I'm not fascinated with indy's clothes in any way. I have no intention of buying a bullwhip or a gun or a holster. I have no need for them as I don't use or collect guns and don't plan on whipping anything...just like I have no need for Spock ears as I see no need to put points on them (mother nature did just fine on her own). Fedoras don't fit my style, as I don't wear hats, so I probably won't be wearing one of those anytime soon either. Star Trek and Jedi Knight clothing serves no practical purpose and everyone will pick you out in an instant. If I was to walk past you in a Wested, do you think you would notice that it was a Wested? rather than say an A-2? I think that's a lot harder to spot, myself.

: : What the hell is is with the "Indy" clothes? Someone makes the same jackets and suddenly everyone stampedes to get one? "I got my Wested", "I bought a Wested", "I thought I'd tell you about my Wested". . . SO WHAT? What the hell is it all about? A leather jacket is a leather jacket, and while I would wear Indy's one in a jungle, where nobody'd see me, I'd never do it in a city. . . What next? Wearing fedoras? Five o'clock shades? Going out with bullwhips in hands? That would probably look even weirder than those sorry characters dressed like Jedi knights who actually walk the streets in the idiotic outfits, thinking God knows what . . . that they actually look like Jedi? Or ARE Jedi? Or that someone'd take'em for Jedi? C'mon. . .

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]