Re: Indy books.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Dodge from 207.173.204.203 on January 12, 2000 at 20:28:44:

In Reply to: Indy books. posted by Ian on January 12, 2000 at 19:24:31:

Good observation. But not completely true. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the art for the first few books, esp. the MacGregor books, is actually fairly original...oh sure, Drew Struzan really just pasted in a picture from one of the movies, but at least the backgrounds were kind of original. Later, they would become a sort of comic book composite.
Oddly enough though, the initial books were fairly adult in content. Indy swore, drank and had lots of sex.
The Martin Caidin books were sort of middle of the road, but definitely had the younger audience appeal.
Max McCoy's books were almost painfully juvenile. He went out of his way to make sure that Indy didn't swear, even to the point of almost preaching about the subject. That had the effect of making the matter seem silly. I don't give a sh....excuse me, I don't care whether or not Indy swears, but do we need to be lectuerd on the subject?
As far as whether or not they will keep you interested, that depends on what you like to read. If you like adventure novels, I would highly recommend some of Clive Cussler's earlier Dirk Pitt novels. Also, read the original James Bond novels by Ian Fleming. If you can find them, two truly awesome adventure novels are The Takers it's sequel River of Gold by Jerry Ahern. You can get these through Amazon, but they are out of print.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]